1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass Night In Edmonton

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newmusicmichael, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Went out last night to one of our larger live venues, the Starlite Room, for the Stephen Malkmus / Speedy Ortiz gig. And lo and behold, both bassists were using P-Basses.

SO's bassist was using a Squier, and playing it hard and fast, and interestingly, was strumming it right near the bridge. SM's bassist was much more laid back, definitely a higher-end Fender model. It wasn't until they came back for the encore and blasted into a Rush track that she handled very well that I was quite impressed. She might have been a bit stressed about it, though, it looked like she glanced over at Malkmus after finishing and basically went "whew".

Anyways, two bands, two p-basses, definitely makes me feel even better about my decision to upgrade my Squier P-Bass with new pickups and electronics so it can become my "second bass", instead of just my "backup just in case" bass.