Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass - no pick guard, mini pickguard control plate

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdier, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
    I have seen P basses with no proper pickguard, instead just a small metal control plate with three holes (volume, tone, jack)

I fancy myself pretty web savvy, but I have not been able to find one of these.

Does anyone have one, know where to get one, have any ideas?

I am wondering if a jaguar or G&L plate might work for me.

Thanks in advance.

jim

2. Fender Musicmaster bass mabye?

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think you ment the Mustang, the step up from the Musicmaster. The one shown is a '75 and is for sale here for $999CDN.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Like this one, it's a Signature for the Bassist of the Mad Capsule Markets made by Fender Japan. Also comes in a 5 string.

5. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
    Yep, that is what I am looking for. Any one have any ideas where I can get one?

6. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    If you have an existing P and you want it to look like the white bass in the above post, I think you are out of luck. The body routs for the pickups and pots are meant to be covered up by the regular P pickguard. There is one humongous channel that runs from the pickup rout to the control pot cavity.

7. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
    Actually my bass does not have the route channel and the routes for the pick ups are pretty tight.

I am thinking I might just buy a full metal pickguard and then cut it down to size.

Jim

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, that's one slick P. I haven't seen many Jazz basses without a pickguard that I liked, though.

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    WD make a control plate like that, I think.

10. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
  11. jdier

jdier

May 28, 2003
    Thought I would share a link to an example of a pbass type body with out the route from pickups to control cavity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3714891105&category=38079

12. Damn, thats one sexy bass.