Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass Noise - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Tried to search for this and didn't come up w/ any results so....

I've noticed that when I take my hands off the strings of my P bass it sends a ton of noise to the amp - the typical hum kind of noise I guess... If I turn off my tweeter it goes away. I'm assuming it's some type of grounding issue... I can solder - any suggestions on what to check to alleviate this problem? It's definately the bass - another bass I own does not have this problem when testing with everything else being equal. Thanks!

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yeah its hum, i use my fretting hand to "lightly" press the 1st string to be the ground lift of the bass. All kinds of hum or interferences tend to disrrupt high frequencies that tweeters amplify.

BTW i dont own any high-end bass with humbuckers, but my MIM jazzV and Vigier arpege III do the same.

3. Anyone have any suggestions?

4. :cool: I'm not sure, but if ALL of your basses do the same thing, you've got a problem with your amp, cords, or something weird!!

I've go three P-Basses, all three are P/J'd, one is active. None of them do this with any of my amps. I own two heads and three combos.

Maybe some of our tech experts can help you out. But it would be unlikely that all three basses would have a grounding problem that would case this.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You assume correctly! It sounds most definitely like a grounding problem. There is a ground wire that goes to your bridge from the control cavity. After you check that all your ground wires are sitting pretty in the cavity, take off your bridge and re-adjust that wire to make sure that it is making contact.

You should be able to find a wiring diagram for a P-Bass on the web, and that should help you track down the problem.

:)

6. Sounds good! I'll take a look next time I change strings :) Thanks!

7. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I live in an old house, and its the outlets for me. It went away at friends houses. This is with decent gear though.

I had a very VERY bad grounding problem with my first bass - affinity p-bass. Turns out the wiring had mostly fallen apart inside. The ground wire broke off the output jack, and another wire fell off a pot. Yay for that. I got it fixed and it mostly went away. IF... you have money a ground loop can fix it. The SABBDI has one, as should the behringer copy if it comes out.

I had an old Sansamp, didnt like it very much, but it was GREAT on my strat with single coils. They are very noisey normal, with the loop on, it was dead silent all the time.

Just some thoughts.