P Bass nut slots depth and width.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kostiantyn, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Kostiantyn

Kostiantyn

Feb 28, 2019
    Hi!
    I'm finishing a 1958 P-Bass inspired build I described in this thread, and the last thing I have to finish is to get a perfect nut.
    I picked extra hard bronze as a material for my nut, but I don't want to ruin it and file it too low, so here's my questions:

1. What is the optimal nut slot depth for a bass?

There's a "Using Feeler Gauges to Control Nut Slot Depth" guide on StewMac, which mentions a rule:

But it looks like this is applicable to a guitar, not the bass - because they recommend add 0.002" for bass strings which naturally have bigger amplitude.

2. I want to try BEAD tuning, but I want to be able to go back to EADG without swapping the nut every time.
      Would it be a problem to have .045-.105 strings in nut slotted for .065-.135?

3. BONUS QUESTION: What is your preferred way of dealing with P-Bass A-string buzz? Retainers, winding all the way down on the tuner, etc?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Kostiantyn

Kostiantyn

Feb 28, 2019
    Okay, I guess I should've used the search before I asked, there's a great thread on nut height already.
    Still If someone likes to know the answers for other 2 questions:
    2) I had zero problems with .105 strings in a nut slots filed for .135 strings
    3) Winding the A-string all the way down works great, no retainer needed.

jah1138 likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022