Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass or J-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jun 7, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, im looking to buy a Fender and am interested to know which would be better to play Bass lines like: Joy Division (New Dawn Fades), Public Image ltd, Deep Purple (smoke on the water), sex pistols.....etc.

J-Bass or P-Bass?

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  3. Ooooh please, not again ... :spit:

4. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    sorry, iv just joined the forum and only just realised thers about 5000 of the same thread so sorry for wasting anyones time

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Canary,

Welcome to TB.com.

Yes, doing a search does eliminate some of the basic questions that might pop up. It's amazing how much time can be spent in that area.

But to answer your question.....if you are a beginner then usually the Jazz bass is a bit easier to play. It has a more slender neck and can cop several different tones by virtue of the two pickups. But the Precision is a bit more traditional. And a lot of us like deep rumble of the P pickup.

The usual anwer here is for you to take the trip to the local music store and spend some time with the two different basses. See what feels good and which sounds more to your liking.

6. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    As was indicated, go the music store, and play some of the basses (both P and J), and see which sounds/feels good to you. Then make your choice. Peace.

7. Hey Canary -

Welcome to TB!

Don't worry about asking a question that has been asked before. Some people here are a bit grumpy and don't have enough patience for new users. In addition to that, some questions bear repating. I appreciate the members like Jerry J who will welcome the new user and kindly answer their question while mentioning the search function.

It really does depend on what tone and sound you are looking for. The P-Bass gives a very tradtitional, punchy sound. It is, more or less, a one-trick-pony but it has the tone you will find on countless rock and pop songs (so apparently it does the trick! :D ) A Jazz is more versatile, but has a different tone - less punchy or bassy.

I have a Jazz right now, and will be adding a P-Bass soon. You might do a web search to find out what kind of bass is played on the songs you like from the artists you mentioned. I listen to a lot of Rush and I play almost the same Jazz Bass he does.

:bassist:

8. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    If you still can't decide you can look at a bass with the P-J pickup combination. My Precision Plus has a P pickup at the neck and a Jazz pickup at the bridge. I absolutely love the tone both pickups together give you working together. To repeat everybody else, go down to your local music store and try a few out. Heck, try them all out. It's your money and you should be sure you have the right bass before you spend it.

In fact, I think I'll go down to my music store and try a few out for you too ;) .

Any excuse to go down there is a good one to me.

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    get a Jazz bass with a series/parallel switch (do a search...lots of info) or a PJ bass to sort of get a best of both worlds....

Jazz neck is nicer if you want a slimmer neck

10. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    i do like the P-Bass sound a lot but still need to try a J-Bass, however im not too keen on adjusting the sound alll the time with a J-Bass.

Thanks for everyones help, you`ve been a great help to me as i don`t have the best knowledge on bass guitars, but i am learning fast.

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    No problem. We all had to start somewhere. At least you have the benefit of starting at the time of the Internet. Geez, some of us in here started before there were forums of friendly people who were willing to share their opinions on anything that was asked. We had to learn by buying things that were crap and learning the hard way. To me, these forums are much easier on the pocket book! :)

12. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    :D these forums are great for guidance as you can get an overall view on everything.
    One more question though:
    I have heard people sayin the J-Bass is good to start out on, but i wont be a beginner forever and dont really want to have to spend more money upgrading my guitar. Does this change anything and for longterm use which out of the two would you choose?

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

14. I choose both. I have both. I play both. If you have the money purchase both, one of each. If, not I suggest the Jazz bass, it's more versatile IMHO.

You might consider searching and finding out about.....

Fender - MIM=Made in Mexico
    MIJ=Made in Japan
    MIA=Made in America

Prices and quality vary on each bass depending on where it's manufactured.

A Fender Jazz Or P bass is not a beginners only bass. Many pro's play these basses for a life time. Whats unusual is that a beginner is willing to spend up to $1000.00 to get a starter bass. Most beginners come on this board wanting the best bass but only have 200.00 dollars to spend, so they settle for a cheap copy of a P or Jazz bass.

Welcome to TB and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to.

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Treena always has good advice. I personally have both P and Jazz. My MIM Jazz gets all the play time and with the Fender flats on it and the neck pup soloed It sounds pretty much just like my P does. I would agree the Jazz is the most versatile.

tk

16. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    MIM is a standard Fender model. MIJ is usaully the signature models. MIA is the high end models from Hiway 1 up.

Probably someone will tell you more exact than I but that is sort of the rule I follow when figuring out where Fender made them.

tk

17. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    wont i have to be adjusting the sound on a J all the time though? which is the best for songs by bands like: Queens of the Stoneage, Sex pistols, Public image, joy division, placebo, muse etc?

18. Hi

Queens of the stone age and sex pistols, they use a P-bass, and placebo and muse I believe they use a J-bass. So they have a different sound and therefore need a different bass.

If you have a J-bass you would have to adjust you tone between songs , neck pickup soloed will have a P-bass punchy kinda sound . and the bridge pickup soloed has a harsh sound good for cutting throug .

19. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    is there a dramatic difference between the two? i prefere the shape of the P-Bass a lot more, would it be a waste of money just by going on the shape?

20. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    does it come down to being as simple as: J-Bass is for Jazz and P-Bass is for rock?