p-bass or j-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garrett21, Oct 24, 2005.

1. garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    would you prefer buyin a p bass or j-bass. what are the differences between a p-pickup and a j-pickup?
  2. I will try to shield you from the brunt of the nuclear weapons now being trained on your postion. J pickups, as originally in the fender jazz bass, are separated, with one near the bridge of the instrument, and one near the neck. P pickups are typically located in a spot almost in the middle between the neck and the p pickup, and have a staggerd appearance.

I like both actually, i'd suggest getting a bass with both a p and j pickup arrangement for maximum flexibility.

btw, trying to get the forums to properly format the p bass pup config is like trying to nail jello to a tree.
  3. garrett21

Sep 12, 2005
    Ankara, Turkey
    :) i know what they are and what their shapes and positions are.. just wanted to hear opinions about their tones versatility and usage..
  4. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i've been playing a P since i started. i love them because they are dark, thuddy, and mainly emphasize the fundamental (three ways to say the exact same thing, i guess).
    i just got my jazz, and i adore it. it's far more vocal, IMO. however, that has a lot to do with the fact that it's fretless. as far as tone goes, it is more open and has more emphasis on the midrange.
    to be honest, i love both sounds, and will continue gigging and recording with both.
    if the studio calls me in, i'm definitely taking both with me, and seeing which works on the particular piece.
    as a VERY loose generality, i'd say that if bass is a melodic rhythm instrument (which it is), then P is further towards rhythmic and J is further towards melodic (though only very slightly).