P-Bass or Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chronosx65x, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Whats the real difference between the p-bass and Jazz bass? i want to get a nice american made fender but im torn between the two. as far as playability and sound goes, could someone plz tell me the key differences between the two?
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The p-bass stands against the wall and a jazz bass falls down! :hyper:
  3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    The p is used for rock/metal/funk and other such styles.

The jazz bass is used for uh............... jazz,I think.
  4. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

Not really, the first Jazz bass players to use Fenders used P basses. Check out Monk Montgomery. He was Wes Montgomerys brother and can be heard playing his P bass on all the Montgomery Bros records.

I think Jaco is what made the jazz bass what it is today. Thing is Jaco was really a fusion player imo.

In the end though you can find players in any style of music who play both the P and J. It all depends on what your ears tell you is the right sound for you.

Buy one of each and you will be a happy man :D
  5. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    I have always thought that Jazz bass is better for funk :eek:

naah... forget it... im confused
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont think this is necessarily true.

Look at bassists like John Paul Jones and Tim Commerford using a jazz in some very heavy rock and funk and metal.
  7. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The Jazz has a narrower neck at the nut than the P. For me it's easier to play than the P with my small hands.
  8. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Since I see that this thread is getting several responses,I'll advertise my 'Jaguar basses' thread on it.Please guys it's in this section.The question's been bugging me all day.Someone answer it!!!!!!1
  9. jazz for sure, as in the words of jaco "p's are just too muddy"

j's are alot more diverse with the two pups...plus they just sound better, plus timmy c, jpj, meshell ndegeochello, flea, les claypool, bootsy, marcus miller etc etc all use em, pretty diverse styles, considering most p-bass users are punk, rock or blues
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The difference is in the neck profile, body shape & pickup arrangement...

IMHO, they're both vintage tone, & either one can pretty much handle any job because of it. I do prefer the PJ thought, only because you can get a taste of both, in one setup.

The Jazz neck is ALOT narrower. I've got big hands, & still prefer a Jazz neck.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whenever someone buys a Jazz bass, it makes Baby Jesus cry.

Do you really want to be responsible for making Baby Jesus cry?
  12. Thats not my religon :p , but buying a p makes jaco cry :smug: :p ....still i prefer a jazz with a precision or musicman neck
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then you're only making Baby Jesus half cry. Maybe you're making him sniffle.
  14. i want a jazz body with kubicki preamp, neck, bridge and pick ups :smug: :p
  15. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Um Flea also plays a P-Bass. in fact he used to do a lot of his recordings with a P-Bass back in his pre-modulus days
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This thread is funny! I like jazz basses better. Get one of those. :bassist:
  17. well, considering i have a list in front of me of fleas basses, he uses modulus, mm stingray 4 & 5 (he used the 5 to record more), Fender JAZZ, Alembic Epic (one hot minute), Treker louis johnson sig, Sigma Acoustic bass, Wal 4....

i cannot picture flea slapping on a p, ive heard talk on here that flea in the early days had a p for backup and when he used it it sounded like elephant droppings
  18. pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    Well since you wanna go there...The master, the greatest of and alltime and the innovator,James Jamerson used a P-bass.P-bass are what basses are suppose to sound like baby.