P-bass or Mark Hoppus Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassist07, Jun 8, 2004.

1. fenderbassist07

Jun 8, 2004
    ok i want to get a bass soon. Ive been checking and checking witch bass is better, i already eliminated the Jazz bass.

I need a P-bass. So i dont know should i buy the Fender Standard P-bass or Mark Hoppus's Signature with P-bass pickups but jazz body ( w/o tone dial ). Witch one would be better for rock/alternative/ a little punk.

I like marks because i love the feel of the jazz body, but i havent played it. i was thinking it sounds the same, but not sure if it has the same pickups.

Does anyone know if the P-bass and Mark Hoppus bass have the same pickups. or are they different?

p.s i know that marks has seymour duncan but not sure about the p-bass

2. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    They have different pickups. Mark's bass is expensive... try buying the fender P-Bass and change the fender pickup to SPB3 Quarter Pounder... it is cheaper
  3. The Mark Hoppus bass is made in Mexico, just like the Standard P. Only difference is tone knob only, Jazz body, crazy colourways, and a Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pound P/U. The Standard MIM P has just....well a standard P/U.

Go for the standard I say, costs less, looks better and won't have you ridiculed by the PuNx community.... ;)
  4. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    do not get the mark hoppus bass, you cant even change the tone on it... get an american p bass and in the long run it will be worth more and serve you better...blink 182 will fade away... p bass will not...
  5. Go for a P-Bass and upgrade. You might go for that new Mike Dirnt P - it looks pretty cool a P's go. I'm going to get a P/J pretty soon from Rondo Music. I have heard they're about as good as the Mexican Fenders and for $110 they're quite a deal. Great for upgrading from what I hear!
  6. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    check out the tribute sb-2. they are discontinued but bassnw.com still has a few left. I got a redburst/rosewood model for $400. after restringing it, it plays and sounds excellent. beats any import fender and a lot of the americans that i have played. they still have a sunburst/maple one left that i'm thinking about getting too.
  7. p bass....mostly because i hate, HATE mark hoppus.
  8. i mean y would somebody make a artist series model and make it so stupid, i mean if fender asked me to make one, or however you get to have one, i would make one decked out jazz!
  9. and btw why the f*** does he have one knob, the volume, what are we two?
  10. i mean can he not "handle" more than one button....jesus he pisses me off....
  11. yeah, there are enough reasons to hate him :D I can't stand him, nor blink182

Anyway, I really don't like the M Hoppus bass, it's just ugly :p
    and one volume is really convenient, in that way, you never have the need to change your sound, I've got this lousy musicman, I have to turn the treble knob all the way up to get a great slap-sound, who irritating is that? (note the sarcasm)
  12. Mark Hoppus may be lame, and I agree that the idea of a P-Bass pup all by itself in a Jazz body is weird, but don't be too hasty to write off one-knob instruments.

Carvin has a Timothy B. Schmidt (bass player for the Eagles) signature bass. It looks and sounds like it would be a great sounding bass. He only wanted a volume because he does all of his tone shaping on his amp.

Peavey makes an Eddie Van Halen signature model Wolfgang electric guitar with only a volume knob. Eddie Van Halen is anything but a hack (i.e. Mark Hoppus), and it sounds like he prefers tone shaping on his amp as well.

Last example: Nuno Bettencourt (amazing guitarist from the now defunct band Extreme) has only a volume on his signature model Washburn guitar.

I, myself, prefer having tone control close at hand. Some others prefer simplicity on their guitar and the controls at their feet or amp.
  13. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't have a problem with one knob either. On my P-Plus with EMGs, I turn all the knobs up so one knob would be perfect for that bass. I do find I'm a little more of a knob twiddler on my Flea Bass, though, as the Bartolini pre changes the tone a lot with subtle turns of the knobs.
  14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've got a Standard P-bass with a 1/4 pounder in it now and I couldnt be more satisfied. Its kills the Mark Hoppus in sound. If I were to ever buy a Mark Hoppus, I'd route it for a Jazz pickup and drop in a J-retro. or other preamp. They're really not worth the money. Fender was just trying to ride the wave of trendy pop punk. If you'd like I can shoot you some clips of my P-bass.
  15. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    i played a show with that bass because i was making fun of another band that was on the bill that played like blink 182 covers so we were making fun of them all night but anyways. haha. anyways haha. lmfao. your better off with a P-bass dude the mark hoppus or whatever his name is, his bass is a mess.
  16. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis

get the P.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

18. real? as in what? are you implying that mr. hoppuses bass is not a precision...that humors me....
  19. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Obviously Maj Metal is referring to the body shape being different (Jazz Style), and is of the opinion that a real P (one with a conventional Precision body is the way to go. This IS an opinion poll
  20. geez i was just kidding....so much hostility around here... :D