P-Bass or Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Nov 12, 2014.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    HI, this is my first post here on Talk Bass!

I'm in a tough position here. I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Fender Precision Bass or a Music Man stingray. Here's the story; I already have a Fender Precision bass and it does what it's supposed to. It works fine and everything but the only reason I want another is because of the way it looks. It's a beautiful bass indeed. It's another precision so there won't be any MAJOR tonal difference at all. But on the other hand I want to get a stingray because they sound awesome and it's totally different than what I've been playing for a while now (the P-Bass). The Precision Bass that I'm interested in is kinda hard to find and one just came up but I only have the cash for one of the two. I'm leaning towards the Stingray because it's a beast and because the ONLY reason I want the other one is because of the way it looks.

I need some help from some experienced bass buyers, what should I do?

Thanks!

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have three Precisions and one SR5. I'd buy the MusicMan: it will give you a different, alternate voice for material that calls for it. The feel of the neck between my Ps and the StingRay are similar, also.

3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Just get a Lakland and be done with it.

ac11367 and fender68 like this.
  4. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Stingray THEN another P. Or a Jazz then another P. Or just buy both right now and save yourself some agony.

5. devinp17

devinp17

Jun 26, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    P Bass!

6. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    If the P is rare get it first cause sting rays aren't going anywhere. Buy the rare P cause that's always worth it then save up again and get the sting ray.

dewbass4 and waynobass like this.
  7. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I'd go for the Stingray. The oiled neck feels sweet, the construction is top-notch, and the sound is all-together different than a P. They're both workhorse basses, though, and I don't think anyone would fault you for buying a second P bass, especially if it has the all-important flatwounds and tort pg........

I was in a similar predicament a little while back. I bought a Stingray and loved it so much that I traded my P and a Jazz bass in on a 2nd 'Ray. After a while, I realized that I missed the P sound and feel, so I traded one of my Stingrays in on a new American P. Now I'm happy again!

8. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    Stingray, you already have a P.

Musicman Bongo club #175

mcnach likes this.
  9. Stingray all the way.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Stingray, but post a pic of the P bass you own, the P bass you want, and the Stingray you should buy

electracoyote and AngryPig1 like this.
  11. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I vote Stingray, but I'm curious..........what's so rare about the P?

electracoyote and blindrabbit like this.
  12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    If you go with another P-bass you can have one with rounds and one with flats.

Aside from that I try not to double up on the same kinds of basses.

vdbass and gidbass like this.
  13. thumpastingray

thumpastingray

Oct 23, 2011
    Amsterdam
    In that case buy a stingray but i ve been there and done that and one precision is the only thing you will ever need.

14. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Either - buy the SR or buy the Precision, sell your current precision and then buy the SR, no need for two of the same bass for most of us.

15. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Curious what makes this P rare that you are looking into. I would get the Ray though if you think this type of Precision will pop up again. You might sell the other P down the line and fund the P you really want with that cash.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    its not "rare" per se, but they don't come up often. the one I'm referring to is the Fender 60th anniversary p-bass

Pet Sounds likes this.
  17. You MUST buy a Stingray. It will never replace your P Bass, but... that's why I have both. My Stingray is my numerous uno, without question... but nothing sounds like a P.

18. If you keep on playing long enough you are going to have several basses, I know I do, get the Sting Ray, you won't regret it, and keep the P!

vdbass and fender68 like this.
  19. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Nothing wrong with trying out a stingray... before you go back and settle on a P! :p

20. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not selling my current P-Bass, that one's staying with me! :p
    It's just between the Fender 60th Anniversary Precision and The Music Man.
    What I'm hoping is the P-bass just goes out of stock so then it's not like I had a choice in the first place haha
    But I feel that if I was supposed to have that P-Bass, it'll come up a little while down the road when I have my MM and the funds... and if it doesn't... I'll find a way to cope :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021