1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass or Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 4, 2004.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Assuming a fix on the Thunderbird neck-dive thing, which would be a better second bass along side a Jazz? I want something I can do harder stuff on while remaining passive (electronically, not musically).

2. I have a Jazz and a T-bird. Both have slim necks. The T-bird's neck is faster. Smooth ebony fretboard and great action. :cool:

3. I'd go with the P.

4. My T-Bird and Jazz have similar necks, and have never had too much of a neck dive problem with mine (wide, thick strap :D ). If you're looking for consistency in tone, go with the P, if you want something different go with the T-Bird. T-Birds don't sound like Fender basses. At all.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The Thunderbird sound suits me more, but I say got play both, I doubt they would be hard to find, I always see a P-bass and a Thunderbird at every big music store I got to.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    P bass! :bassist:

7. I think that a P Bass and a T Bird, while they sound very different, both excell at the same sorts of music. to me Thunderbirds sound more "rock" and aggessive.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pull a John Entwistle, put a P bass neck on a thunderbird body! Hooray!

9. I have a P-bass, I want a T-bird to satisfy my G.A.S!!!

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Pluses of the P-bass:
    -- Cheaper (for what it is, a new T-Bird is way overpriced)
    -- More rugged (the first thing to look for in a used T-bird is if the neck was ever broken...this is VERY common)

Pluses of the T-Bird:
    -- the look (for rock anyway)
    -- more aggressive "in your face" sound

11. I like the Thunderbird sound better. Play both an follow your heart and taste buds.

I never had a neck dive problem with my Thunderbird.

12. I do notice my T-bird is a bit neck heavy, but it really isn't too bad. I've gotten used to it and it really didn't take too long. One thing I do get nrevous about is the neck itself. If you have a T-bird, keep it very safe. The necks tend to break easliy, especially right where the neck meets the headstock. But what makes up for that extra-thin neck is the super-quick and smooth action. I love my T-bird. It rocks mightily. The only thing I wish is that I had an older model. :cool: