P-Bass or Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 4, 2004.

1. Assuming a fix on the Thunderbird neck-dive thing, which would be a better second bass along side a Jazz? I want something I can do harder stuff on while remaining passive (electronically, not musically).
  2. I have a Jazz and a T-bird. Both have slim necks. The T-bird's neck is faster. Smooth ebony fretboard and great action. :cool:
  3. My T-Bird and Jazz have similar necks, and have never had too much of a neck dive problem with mine (wide, thick strap :D ). If you're looking for consistency in tone, go with the P, if you want something different go with the T-Bird. T-Birds don't sound like Fender basses. At all.
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The Thunderbird sound suits me more, but I say got play both, I doubt they would be hard to find, I always see a P-bass and a Thunderbird at every big music store I got to.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  6. I think that a P Bass and a T Bird, while they sound very different, both excell at the same sorts of music. to me Thunderbirds sound more "rock" and aggessive.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pull a John Entwistle, put a P bass neck on a thunderbird body! Hooray!
  8. I have a P-bass, I want a T-bird to satisfy my G.A.S!!!
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Pluses of the P-bass:
    -- Cheaper (for what it is, a new T-Bird is way overpriced)
    -- More rugged (the first thing to look for in a used T-bird is if the neck was ever broken...this is VERY common)

Pluses of the T-Bird:
    -- the look (for rock anyway)
    -- more aggressive "in your face" sound
  10. I like the Thunderbird sound better. Play both an follow your heart and taste buds.

I never had a neck dive problem with my Thunderbird.
  11. I do notice my T-bird is a bit neck heavy, but it really isn't too bad. I've gotten used to it and it really didn't take too long. One thing I do get nrevous about is the neck itself. If you have a T-bird, keep it very safe. The necks tend to break easliy, especially right where the neck meets the headstock. But what makes up for that extra-thin neck is the super-quick and smooth action. I love my T-bird. It rocks mightily. The only thing I wish is that I had an older model. :cool: