1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass output jack trouble

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Feb 21, 2008.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have a '97 MIA Precision that is giving me some trouble. I recently replaced the pick guard and have since that time had the signal occasionally get cut. If I tap on the cable or move it around a bit in the jack then I get my signal back. I can slowly move it around and find 'dead spots' but when I have opened it up and looked, I can't find any problem with the plug making a solid connection. It looks like it snaps right in and in fact, as I insert the plug I can hear/feel it make the connection.

One thought I had was to bend the part that the plug actually connect with just a bit more so that the connection might be tighter. I haven't done this yet - wanted to ask here first in case someone says "oh yes, seen this and your problem is ......."

Can anyone give me advice on what specifics I might look at and tinker with in order to remedy this. I am a weekend warrior and have gigs this Fri/Sat so I can't drop it off anywhere and I am worried that this could really be an issue this weekend (I am very animated on stage).

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, and help :)

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The procedure you refer to is known as re-tensioning the output jack. That is always the first thing to try. It does not take much of a bend to bring the tip into solid contact. It is also a good idea to clean the contacts with some Deoxit. While you are in there, make good visual inspection of the connections. Solder should be smooth and relatively shiny on a new instrument.

As far as being able to drop it off on Thursday and get it on Friday, if you are a Weekend Warrior it is important to make the store or the tech aware of this. Most shops will give a working musician's instrument priority, especially when it is an quick, easy troubleshoot and repair like this. Obviously, this is not something to abuse. If, for instance, the instrument has been exhibiting the problem for a month during which time you've not been playing out it is not wise to pressure a shop for what is essentially bad scheduling on your part. But if it is an emergency it should be made known to those who will be in control of scheduling the repair.

N.B. Some shops will charge extra for rush service. Some do not. This is one of the reasons it is important to build a relationship with your tech. If they know you and you're cool, you might get service while you wait.

3. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Excellent, thank you. I now feel better about re-tensioning the output jack and will give that a shot.