1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass, P bass, P bass or...P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sm_ill, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM.

1. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    -Fender American Pro P
    -Ibanez Prestige TMB2000
    -Lakland Skyline 44-64; 44-51
    -Fender RW Nate Mendel; Mike Dirnt

Hi everyone, Just looking for some opionions on some of the Ps I have narrowed my search down to. First off, the most important thing to me is fit and finish, particularly fret work. I'm not overly concerned with the difference in neck size or any other difference in spec..I just want a well made P bass. The most intriguing to me is the Ibanez...I would really love to hear if anyone has experience with these as I have found it nearly impossible to find any reviews or first hand accounts of the TMB2000 and being in the Prestige line My assumption would be excellent build quality and attention to detail. Anyhow, would love some feed back regarding the aforementioned axes.

Steve

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I expect fit and finish to be top notch on all of those. Any minor defects in the RW stuff is masked by the relic job. RW stuff is great.

American Pro P.. havent played one.

Ibanez is not my cup of tea, so I would say its too much up to personal tastes aestheticaly.

Cant go wrong! Try to play one in person before you buy maybe.

Sm_ill likes this.
  3. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    Appreciate the input...I would love to be able to play each of them but I just haven't made my way to any of the bigger cities around. Been planning on it just have t had the time..it sounds like you have experience with the RW? In your experience how was the fret work? I've heard nothing but great things regarding the work in feel of the neck..my only experience with MIM Fender was a Deluxe P special. It was an ok piece but I could not stand the sharp/rough fret ends

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I've played all of the Laklands and the Fenders except for the Nate Mendel. All very nice instruments. No experience with that particular Ibanez model.

As Figjam suggested, play everything you can – even if it means some travel – and don't rush the decision. For me, after playing a dozen or more P-family instruments, it came down to either the (now discontinued) Fender American Standard Precision or the '50s Classic Series Precision (MIM). I ended up going with the '50s Classic.

discreet and Sm_ill like this.
  5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I have a 2015 Fender Am.Std. P. The frets are good; I haven't noticed any problems with sharp edges or anything. However the nut was a real problem. A couple strings were cut too deep and too wide, which caused buzzing and rattling of the open strings. It took a bit of work to get it in acceptable shape for my needs, but if I wanted to use it for gigging or recording I'd have had the nut replaced. I've seen other fender owners comment on the same thing.

I haven't played any of the others you mention. However, I have a skyline 44-60 (jazz). It's fretlesses so I can't speak to the quality of the fretwork, but the fit and finish are top notch. Never tried an Ibanez tmb but I've had good experiences with the soundgear line.

Good luck!

petrus61 and Sm_ill like this.
  6. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    I kinda dig the 50s lacquer P but I tend to prefer rosewood boards..thank you for the input it sure seems like either way I get a fantastic instrument so now I need to determine if I save $500 and go with RW or Skyline or get into that $1,500 ranger with the Pro or prestige. If the RW series is all it's cracked up to be I'm not sure how I justify spending the extra $500

7. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    G&L LB-100

8. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    Indeed...My first two basses were SRs but I quickly realized athletically I was drawn towards more traditional styled basses. My first love was a EBMM Stingray H I played exclusively for 10 years before trading her earlier this year(sigh) but I think it's the build quality of EBMM that spoiled me

9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Got a D/Ced Am Vintage Hotrod P/J, came perfect, perfect nut, action, frets etc, best playing and sounding Fender I've ever tried, still available at least 2nd hand, highly recommended

Andre678 and Sm_ill like this.
  10. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Try as many as you can. Each bass is likely to sound different - even in the same model. Don't assume that because you liked that white American P you can then order one in sunburst and it will sound exactly the same.

11. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    This plays somewhat into why I haven't had an extreme amount of motivation to get to the city and test drive these babes...I will be ordering form one of the major online retailers and financing 0% for couple years...so I may well drive 3 hours to Chicago and fall in love with a certain piece..order one and find that I don't like it as much as that ONE at the brick and mortar.

madjazzbass and bass12 like this.
  12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I just picked up a new Fender AmPro P in Antique Olive from Sweetwater and it has been stellar right out of the case. It came with a good set up but I gave the truss a 1/4 turn and lowered the strings to where I like it and it's been the only bass that I've touched since. The fit and finish is great. No high frets, no sprout, the neck pocket is one of the tightest that I've seen. No flaws in the paint, great Pbass sound with the new pup. I have zero complaints. This Fender is easily on par with the three EBMM basses that I own and is better than the Lakland Skyline 55-60. The Lakland has a tiny flaw in the finish and a tiny bubble in the neck finish. I know that's all splitting hairs but if we're comparing.

If you want a P, the AmPro is a very solid choice and the new neck carve is awesome to me. I know people say to try a bunch and some have had bad experiences but I haven't and that includes a 2014 AmStd Jazz and 2010 AmStd P. Zero problems with all three of them.

13. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    If you want a P, I still think Fenders are the way to go. Just the way the pickups are voiced and the tone of the instrument build work together is a tried ad true classic foundation tone. It's like the perfect platform for whatever strings or pedals you want to use.

The thing about Laklands is they are really well made basses, but they don't have that same Fender voice. The necks are super fast and the basses are light, so you have a great modern instrument.

I looked at Laklands for a while, but then I dove into MIJ Fenders. You can find the good ones on Reverb made back in the mid 80s and early 90s. In my opinion, those are the steal. The 70's reissue plays like a Lakland, with a fast and slimmer neck, but it sounds like a Fender. No pickup change necessary. I only mention it, because they are right in your budget and you also want excellent build quality.

selowitch, bobyoung53 and Sm_ill like this.
  14. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    That antique olive is a pretty neat finish..at first I just said Ok want a P and I love CAR so I'll order the AmPro in CAR. Done deal...the. I stumble upon the Nate Mendel which has got some great reviews and also CAR and I ask is the pro going to be THAT much better to pay $5-600 more than the Nate? It's comforting to hear your comparison to EBMM as that is the bar that I have set in terms of build quality. Heck maybe I need to at the Cutlass to the list

15. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I would certainly check the Cutlass out if you can, I'm sure it's a great bass. Somebody posted that the tone is a little rounder than a fender but I don' have any personal experience with one.

KJMO, Benko, lowdownthump and 2 others like this.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not an Ibanez guy.
    I REALLY like Lakland.
    I like the look of the Nate Mendel P bass.
    Fender American Pro is USA Fender. You may get a bad one but the basses I've played have been good.
    All that said, of the 4 on your list (I would only add a G&L L100 to the list for P type basses) I would spend the $$ and get the American Pro. I like the Olive Green and Rosewood version.
    pro p.

Coughdrops, SJan3, REMBO and 2 others like this.
  17. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    I like the Olive/rosewood combo but I think I've got my heart set(if I go AmPro) on CAR/rosewood. Ya know I'm not big on the SR or BTB series but these more traditionally styled Talman basses have peaked my interest. I would feel confident in the Prestige build quality(although I've never owned a prestige so just going off hearsay) seems very versatile and it's kind of unique. IMG_4358.JPG

18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    This!!!!!(and never P on a J :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

good luck

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Sm_ill likes this.
  19. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    I'd go Mike Dirnt.

Sm_ill likes this.
  20. Sm_ill

Sm_ill

Jun 8, 2017
    Illinois
    The Dirnt is one that very recently caught my eye. I've always been keen on the early 50s body style and I've heard some really encouraging words on the custom shop 59 pickup.