1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass P/U for flats?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Well, first and foremost, sorry about another 'what's the best P pickup' thread. This one might be slightly different.
    I am finishing up a MIM P-Bass project. This will be a special purpose bass. A P with Sadowsky Black Label Flats. I have it apart to shield it and replace all the electronics. After my new pickguard arrives I'll be done IF I keep the '99-'00 MIM pickup. I want to use this bass in two weeks for a Motown/Oldies fill-in gig I'm doing, and I keep staring at that MIM pickup (with a puzzled look).
    Question then, for a P Bass with flats, does anyone have a good suggestion for a pickup to go with this? I know the flats will give me some thump, but I want some mids-high mids too.
    Again, I apologize for this 'beating a dead horse' thread, but most P/U threads on here seem to talk about basses with rounds.
    Am I correct to assume flats/versus rounds could sway a P/U decision one way or another? X pickup for rounds, Y pickup for flats?
    Thank you.
    P.S. I can get a '62 Original for a steal.

2. Do it. Excellent choice for flats.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fender P pickup was designed for flats. No need to swap it out, IMHO.

4. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    You've just answered the question right there and you won't be disappointed.

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I have seymour duncan spb3s with daddario chromes. Its not everyones cup of tea and you definatley need to fiddle with eq a lil to get the right sound. Traditional pickup height will make this sound like **** Imo. You need to have the pups fairly far away to get the beefy sound

6. LouieV2

LouieV2

Jan 9, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My '08 Am. Std. P has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in it. I use flats exclusively on that bass and it thumps harder than any P I've ever heard.

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    '62 Original, without a doubt. I've had many of the others, but this is in my bass to stay. Great string choice, btw.

8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I appreciate the comments. I was just gonna go with the MIM pickup that was in it, but to tell you the truth, while it's apart I just want to be done with it. I thought maybe the MIM might be a good match for the flats, but wasn't sure. I have a '62 Original in my main gigging Pbass, and I like it a lot, but that's a different beast...rock w/ D'Addarrio XL165's.
    Thanks a bunch. I guess I'll open me wallet, AGAIN! We're never really DONE, are we?

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    No, we're really not. Unfortunately, the MIM pup is a completely different beast than the '62 Original. You may like it, though. IME, the MIM has a slower attack, and a less rounded bottom end; and the '62 sounds more like a '62 (think Jamerson, Kaye, Dunn, et al. They all played on essentially the same pup)...

10. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    That's one of the things that puzzle me, Mushroo. In 1999-2000, almost NOBODY was using flats when this MIM bass was made. Rounds were standard so I wonder if over the years, these pickups may have been voiced more for the 'modern' (post 1970's) switch to roundwounds.

11. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    One of the reasons I'm confused.....Less rounded bottom end on a MIM, BUT was thinking the flats might offset that. Plus, I think the MIM has a higher output. I measured it and it's 10.3K. I know that's not all there is to the sound, but 10.3K is on the high side, no?

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I suppose that's possible. I use flats on all my p-type basses.