P-bass passive or passive pups with a preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bkchang79, Jan 8, 2003.

1. I've decided to go with more of a vintage tone on my P-bass, but can't decide which route to take. I played a 57RI p-bass a couple days ago and love the tone of it so I'm definatley going to put the Fender original 62 pups to replace my EMG P pickups. Do you think I would be content with just replacing the pickups and going from active to passive? Or should I go for a Raven preamp along with the 62 pups. If I go the passive route does this mean I have to reconnect my bridge ground wire, cause EMG told me to cut that wire.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you want to get a vintage sound, why would you bother yourself with a preamp ?

In my case, actually, I wouldn't bother myself with a preamp in any situation.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You'd get beautiful vintage tones out of a P bass with a Fralin pup and passive volume and tone controls...

Heard a local guy use this set up on his MIM P bass through a Yorkville combo amp...superb tone!!!
  4. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the Raven pre in one of my P-basses. I love it! Tons of tone varying ability. It does NOT have an inkling of vintage vibe to it. If the that's what your looking for, do not bother. But if you want a more modern tone with lots of control, I highly recommend it.

5. If you prefer the tonal options of a modern preamp but with a more vintage basic sound using passive pups with a preamp would be the right choice IMO, but this will of course never sound as "vintage" as a passive pup w/o preamp (no impedance matching preamp = less bass+treble)
  6. If your current P is a modern one, there are more differences between it and 57ri than just the pickups. The necks on the American and American standard ranges are reinforced with graphite rods, which makes htem firmer, tighter and not as loose as the vintage style instruments.

In my experience, that superb rich texture of the classic P is a feature of the passive instrument. Fender pickups are fine pickups, and will give you the sound. Consider a Sadowsky preamp if any.