P bass - passive pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting a lower-mid range bass, or I could stick some new pups in and save a few hundred on my P-Bass copy.

I don't like the P sound atm, I would like something that sounds more like a musicman, or preferably a Flea Bass.

Is there a particular pickup you would recommend for this? Also is the wiring easy to do myself? I honestly have no idea about anything to do with wiring, but on a stock P with just Volume/Tone and a split pup would it be hard to do myself?

Thanks in advance guys. BTW The pickups should not make a lot of buzzing - if it is a grounding problem I will just get my bass fixed.

Thanks guys.
  2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Pickup swaps can change the sound of a bass but no P pickup will ever sound like an MM. If you want the MM sound you need to buy a bass with an MM pickup. There are several options - MM, Lakland, Tobias, OLP are a few.
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I agree. You are not gona get a MM sound in a split P pickup configuration. You could route and install a MM pickup, but I would not spend that type of money on a bass unless the other parts where pretty good.

You said low-mid price. I do not know what you mean, but the Lakland Skylines, made in Korea, are really nice basses. The necks and fretwork and tuners are really nice to use.

Look at the Lakland Skyline 44-02 and 55-02:

Some used ones at Bass Central in Orlando:

4. We're talking more like 400-500 guys.

OK, what about a P that has the same crisp highs as a MM pickup?
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The answer has been given. Asking again is not going to change it.
  6. I encourage you to buy used. eBay is a good source if you pay attention and do not over pay.

I find paying no more than 66% of new-discount price will keep you from over paying for a production item such as a Fender bass. When it comes time to sell it, you won't lose your investment.

One has to own the different basses, if one wants those different tones. I own a P, J fretless, and MM (G&L L1500). Each has a unique sound, due to differences in pickup construction, but also due to pickup location.

As pointed out above, no P will sound like a MM, because the pickup is located differently. Even if you found a P built like a MM (and you will not), it will still sound like a P due to its location. You cannot have both in the same bass, because the P and MM positions overlap.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    If you're just looking for more grindy rocunrol high end you could try a Seymoure Duncan 1/4lbs. P pickup. It won't sound like a MM though.
  8. Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I should have been more specific. I want a P with Clear highs that will cut through a mix - this is what a meant by "like MM"

sorry guys.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No problem. I've gone looking for a P bass pickup with clear highs in the past only to find that all P bass pickups have big mids and not much in highs even in the hottest ones. It's the characteristics of the pickup type and location.

P.S. It's mids not highs that "cut through a mix".