P Bass Pickguard dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clef360, Nov 1, 2004.

Which pg?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2004.
  1. original white pg

2. black pg

3. teardrop

4. only cover the control cavity

5. other (specify)

1. I just recently purchased a black pg for my sunburst sx p-bass, but when I took off the white pg, I decided that I kinda liked what the pg had been covering. I also discovered that the black pg would require modification to install. The problems with leaving the pg off are the fact that I still need to cover the control cavity, and the huge routing around the pickups. I could just make a small cover for the contorl cavity and just ignore the routing around the pups. I also came up with a teardrop type shape for the pg, but I'm not sure if it would look good at all, so help me decide!

Also, I would be able to fill the screw holes that are in the black area of the finish pretty easily if i decided not to go with a standard pg.
  2. black and a really rough representation of what the teardrop might look like. It would be rounder and curvier, but hey, it's ms paint.
  3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    get a clear one made. Then you don't have to fill the holes with anything but screws.
  4. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    or learn to play with out a pick then you wont need one :D id just cover the controls IMO
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1, than you can put what ever you want under it as well. Like different pictures and etc. :)
  6. Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Why not go with wood pup covers/rings and a wood control cavity cover that JUST cover the cavity in the body. It is a shame to cover any more of that finish than you need to.
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    My vote went for other, because there wasn't an option for the teardrop in other than black. I think the teardrop shape looks cool and unique, but the black is horrible. I'd have that done in some cool tortoise shell or paisley PG material...
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think a clear PG would be ideal too.

The thing about the teardrop pickguard is that it would make your bass resemble a Fender JP-90...

9. The thing about a clear pickguard is that it doesnt cover the huge pup routing. Plus, I'd prefer to to keep the electronics covered.
  10. The body is pretty nice. I'd suggest getting a chrome Stingray style control plate (think jazz bass control plate, but curves). The metal plate would look real good.

EDIT: [​IMG]

Check it out.
  11. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    As Wesley Snipes once said, 'Always bet on black.' A black pg on a sunburst looks so sweet! My next bass (i'm thinking a jazz, be it sunburst or natural) is going to have a black pg.
  12. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Other for Clear....
  13. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If you decide to go for the clear guard with a control plate, you may like to know Allparts sells one for P Bass. Other sites might, I dunno. I checked WD and they don't seem to have one.
  14. edrubin

Mar 12, 2004
    i've always been a sucker for tortoise guards, especially on p basses, and especially several ply with white in the middle. killer vintage look.