Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Pickup Change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Which pickups for a fender p-bass are the best for the price?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I prefer the DiMarzio's, punchy and with more dynamic range than the 1/4 pounders in my experience.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have DiMarzio's in my P, and I really love them. I would definley recomend them over Seymour Duncans.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Fender 62 re-issue pickup is pretty nice too.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, go with barts. I did. Nice, creamy and tasty, too!

6. I like the Fender Original '62. It may have a different name these days.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've actually got a P bass with with the DiMarzio and Qtr-Pnd'er installed respectively.
    I like them both about the same. The Q/P has more of a "bassier" tone to me while the DiMarzio has just a bit more of a midrange sound. I like them both very much and I honestly think you'll like either one for a P Bass sound. I will say though that they are both two of the "hottest" passive split-coils I have used in terms of output.
    Hope this helps.

8. Thanks for the replies. I'm probably gonna go with the Duncans

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    motoclip,

please update us with a review. I'm shopping around for a pick up myself. Believe or not, I may be putting it into a Jazz.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Best for the price will be a Bill Lawrence.

Cheapest yet decent, I'd go with an EMG Select.

Best of the best, go Bartolini 8S.

11. I haven't bought the pickups yet but when I do I'll be sure to tell you what I think.

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Of course this topic is totally subjective, but I think it really depends on what sound/style you are after.

I really don't like that intense midrange sound of either QP's or DiMarzio's.
    Over the weekend I installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 classic P pup, and I really like that sound. Much smoother and cleaner than the stocker, and more of that old skool thump.

Like I said, depends on what you're looking for.

13. I like a good deep, fat, low end. I don't care for mids much and I like clean, crisp highs. I play rock, hard rock music.

14. Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of swapping out my stock MIM P-pickup, and I was looking for some suggestions.

My p-up currently is very mid-ified :D , which is what I like. It's got excellent punch to it, and quite a bit of bass to it too! The only thing is that it buzzes like mad.

I was looking to get something similar to the stock pickup, but possibly a little warmer. I plan on playing all kinds of rock, but then on the "other side" of the musical fence, some jazz too.

So far I've seen the Seymour Duncan Antiquities and the Bartolini p/ups as valid choices.

I have a pair of Bartolini Quad-Coil Humbuckers in my Modulus, and I absolutely adore them.

15. grib

grib

Apr 29, 2003
    > The only thing is that it buzzes like mad.

That may be a problem with your bass' shielding rather than the pickup. If you like the bass' sound, first make sure that it's adequately shielded and properly grounded before you replace the pickup. I don't know about MIM Fenders, but my MIA P-Bass was very poorly shielded from the factory so I assume the MIM ones are too.

The "Quieting the Beast" article on guitarnuts (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.html) is a pretty good reference on how and why to shield your bass. It's aimed at guitar players, and the pictures are of a Strat, but it has all the information you need to shield your bass.

If that's not the problem, or you just want to spend some $$$ :), I can vote for the Bartolini 8S. I just put one in my Deluxe P and love it.

Good luck!
    b.g.