1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass pickup covers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonconformist, Mar 3, 2008.

1. In the process of buying an American Precision...

Where can I get pickup and bridge covers to make it more "retro"?

-PC

2. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I got mine at basspartsresource.com, the price seemed reasonable, and they do look cool.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    basspartsresource.com or any Fender dealer can get them for you.

4. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    What is the use of that cover? I mean it looks great, but is there any use soundwise? Why did they put it there in the first place?

5. Back in the day, the pickups and bridge were considered unattractive, so they covered them.
    I don't think the pickup cover is of any use soundwise, but if you're a slapper, it makes a great pivot point for your right hand.

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    On the original P, the pickup cover also had a grounding wire attached to it. Ever since, they have been purely cosmetic. In the 50s, people didn't expect to see electronics "naked" so were often covered by chrome. Nowadays, nudity is more commonplace. :)

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Ive always loved the look of covers, but i refuse to drill holes in my bass. If I just put the pick cover on and drill holes, do the screws go into the body? Or are they just into the pickguard?

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The body.

9. i am adding a cover to my p bass copy yamaha bb200
    awesome