1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass pickup halves

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blockinlay, Apr 15, 2010.

1. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Any experts on P-Bass pickups that can explain the differences between the top and bottom halves of a P-Bass pickup?

2. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    usually reverse magnet polarity and reverse winding, to cancel the hum:bassist:

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    As far as what one goes where it makes no difference as long as the poles line up with the strings.

4. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Here's the thing. I have a pickup that is weak on the D and G strings. I was thinking about swapping out the bottom half for a new old stock half a guy has. For $20, I thought that was cheap. He only has bottom halves. If I got two bottom halves and bridged them together, would it act like a single coil with just a little noise? I know I could just buy a new set, but I like to fool around.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If they are the same brand they will probably be wound the same direction and they may act like an antenna for any stray Noise also be very careful soldering them together it is very easy to burn the windings open use a heat sink and not too much heat.

6. Loosen the screws to raise the D-G pickup. If you haven't already tried it, please do. Just a little will make a noticeable difference.

7. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I did that during a jam session with the volume up, and couldn't get good results. If I'm practicing alone at lower volumes, I don't really hear any issues.
    I'm going to try that again though, and add more tweak by bringing those strings down a slightly, the lower pickup up a hair, and the high side down a hair. This is a recent project I bolted an american Fender jazz neck on. The original neck had a broken truss rod. The pickup and body are a 93 Mexican Fender. I was suprised to find that the pots were CTS, and the jack Switchcraft, but someone could have upgraded at some point. I might be changing the neck again, as I pulled this one off another bass I have to see if I like it, and I do. I just saw today that Warmoth is having a sale. I do like the width of a jazz neck better than the width of a precision.
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of other guys. Never satisfied, and thinking the Mexican pickup might not be up to snuff.
    After I adjust it, I'll try it again in the mix and see what happens.

8. Also try lowering the E-A one. It's really easy to get good string balance with a P-bass pickup.

I'd be very reluctant to run a non-matched pair of halves, however.