Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass pickup hight

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cep, Jul 10, 2001.

1. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    I have a P BAss that I just bought, the pickups are slanted up towards the middle. Is there any significance to this. I really would like to lower the action but don't know how lowering the pickups will make the sound react.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is your fingerboard or bridge crowned, (rises towards the middle)? If so, it is probably set up to compensate for the increased string height in the middle, the A & D.

Pickup height is a no-win situation. The general rule is the further away your pickups are from the strings, the better the tone. The closer they are, the more output you get but the tone deteriorates. So, it's whatever compromise that appeals to your ears.

3. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    Thanks. I think I'll try lowering the pickups and see how low I can get the string height when I get my new bridge. Thanks again and as always your opinions are much appreciated.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Uh-oh, now we're talking action/relief and that's truss rod territory. But if you're comfortable with adjusting the rod, that's good, (everyone should learn, IMO).

Appreciative seekers of knowledge, like yourself, cep, are always.....uh......appreciated!!!

5. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    ...so I'm a seeker of knowledge who can't spell.