1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P bass pickup in bridge position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman312, Dec 16, 2006.

1. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    has any one ever seen something like this??
    i was just wondering if anyone had any pics.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    yeah the P Elite. 2 P pups.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I like Lee Sklar's 2P basses:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I built myself a bass using G&L parts and a custom body that used similar pickup spacing and coil stagger to Lee's signature:

[​IMG]

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Here's a pic of a 1983 Fender Elite:

[​IMG]

Some bass...

5. pretty much every bc rich....

WarwickZombie.

6. or Warwick Buzzard...;)

7. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    i'd love to finally hear P pickup in that position. so much..

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    +1 Add me to that list!

9. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    Cool... how does that sound though? anyone have any sound clips?

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    This look very interesting pup wise, anyone agree? I feel very tempted at the moment to route a P in the bridge position now when i'm routing for a mudbucker in the middle position. :bassist:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I did once play a Westfield bass which was owned by the owner of the local bass shop. He is a fretless player first and foremost and so had defretted and expoied this bass. What made me want to pick it up was the fact that it had two P pickups in it. Curious as to how it sounded I asked him if I could try it out, and he obliged!

The sound was a curious one, with both pickups on full it was full and fat sounding, and playing near the neck got a reallow hollow, almost uprighty type tone. With the bridge pickup soloed it barked a bit but not with the authority of a jazz bass, this was based rather more in the low midrange.

it was quite an odd bass, it was old (he said he had acquired and defretted it in the 80's) and battlescarred but it had a real character and vibe to it.

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    This setup yeilds some GREAT sounds. I tried it out on a BC Rich Mockingbird Heritage edition at GC. The P at the Bridge was like a Jazz at the bridge with the midrange growly sound, but a lot more bassy. I really really want to get a bass with 2 P pickups.

How much do those Fender Elites cost used? I'm sure they don't make that model anymore.