1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass pickup in Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatCity, Nov 12, 2004.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I have a 2001 MIA Jazz bass and have been considering putting a P bass pickup in the neck position. Is the cavity in the body big enough to accept this modification?

Thanks in advance,
    FC

2. I'm sure you'd have to route out a pickup hole for the P pickup. My MIA Jazz ('99) just has a route to fit the Jazz pickup exactly.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hoppi

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Recent MIM's that I've seen have a wider rout for the neck p/u, which might be big enough to take a P pickup. You can see it here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64400&item=3759388045&rd=1

Common sense says that it /should/ be big enough to fit a P pickup, because otherwise, why would they bother routing it that way? However, common sense also says that Fender don't always do things the common sense way, so check :D Take the pickguard off and check that yours has the rout. If you can test against a P pickup, great, if not, I'm sure someone can tell you the dimensions and you can rough up a quick template to check.