Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass pickup in Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatCity, Nov 12, 2004.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I have a 2001 MIA Jazz bass and have been considering putting a P bass pickup in the neck position. Is the cavity in the body big enough to accept this modification?

Thanks in advance,
    FC

2. I'm sure you'd have to route out a pickup hole for the P pickup. My MIA Jazz ('99) just has a route to fit the Jazz pickup exactly.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hoppi

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Recent MIM's that I've seen have a wider rout for the neck p/u, which might be big enough to take a P pickup. You can see it here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64400&item=3759388045&rd=1

Common sense says that it /should/ be big enough to fit a P pickup, because otherwise, why would they bother routing it that way? However, common sense also says that Fender don't always do things the common sense way, so check :D Take the pickguard off and check that yours has the rout. If you can test against a P pickup, great, if not, I'm sure someone can tell you the dimensions and you can rough up a quick template to check.