1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass pickup just died

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silen7ce, Aug 25, 2012.

1. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    So I went to plug my 6 month old American standard p bass in the other day and was getting almost no output. I took it to the shop and they just called back to say the pickup is completely dead. How would this happen? And how common is this? I have taken great care of it and never heard of this happening.

2. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Electromagnets! You can get it rewound if you like the sound or, I'm sure some members can point you in the right direction for some "killer" tone!

3. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    If the Bass is only 6 mo old wouldn't it be covered by fender ?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it should be. (i believe it's 1 year on electronics and parts.)

before getting the replacement, have them check the connections at the pickup bobbin, where the hookup wire and the thin coil wire both go through that little metal ring; on american standard instruments, it often needs to just be re-soldered, as the thin insulation around the coil wire hasn't quite melted through properly to make the connection.

5. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    I'm just ticked off as this is my first Fender and I have always heard these are workhorse basses. I babied the thing for 6 months and the pickup just died. Fender will cover the replacement but its going to take the music store 2+ weeks to get the part from them!

6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I had it happen to me on my Deluxe P-Bass ... I just replaced the pick-up with the Fender reissue pick-ups .... couldn't be happier

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Two weeks for a replacement part in this day and age is unacceptable.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    warranty will cover it.