Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p bass pickup missing wire!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by feg, Apr 15, 2005.

1. feg

feg

Apr 15, 2005
    hiya all, can anyone help me out with these, there's two solder points (marked) and two loose wires! (its possible one wire is spare). Please note the pickup on the left has a black wire attached to the solder point (hard to see :) )
    [​IMG]

if anyone could help on how to wire them up correctly, that would be superb, cheers.
    fegg.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

blurry pic on my laptop but the missing black wire should go on the top left side of the left pup half - matching the way the right half is wired. Hard to tell from the pic but looks like the wire solder point descends into the pup. If the solder points are on the backing plate - just solder the black wire there. Looks like the pup cover should come off. If it does and the solder point is below the backing plate, you should be able to get to it removing the cover. The end of the winding (hair thickness) should solder to top side of the lower bobbin and the black lead solder to the bottom side of the bobbin directly below the winding attatchment. I'm guessing the solder points you have circled were used for grounding the pups to cut hum. It looks like that's a copper backing plate.

Alternatively with the one wire pup, it's possible the existing lead goes to the start of the winding and the finish was grounded to the backing plate. At any rate, if you take a meter and get a reading from the existing lead to the backing plate, that should work (which means you could indeed connect the loose black wire to those circled solder points and connect the pups halfs). If you don't see a definitive solder point as described in the paragraph above, that's probably the case. If you do see a solder point across from that single lead, I'd solder the black wire there.

You have to have at least a lead for the start and finish of the winding for each pup or the equivalent. That looks like it's setup 4 wire like many Dimarzios so you can run them series or parallel. Bartolini (and many manufacturers) will factory wire 1/2 of the P to the other half and run two leads off that half to be wired to the harness. You can alter that with most of them but that's how they come.

Regardless - if you get a reading with a meter between the start and finish of a winding - you'll get sound in the bass - if you don't, you won't.