p-bass pickup orientation !help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billengelman, Oct 17, 2002.

1. When replacing a p-bass pickup, does it matter how the pickups are oriented? Do they need to be installed a certain way for the hum cancelling to work? I got an old Bartolini pickup and it seems that they can only be installed with the word "Bartolini" on the pickup facing in opposite directions. Is that right?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Generally, the Bartolini logo should be right side up on both pups. What matters, though, is the wiring. P-bass pickups are RW/RP (reverse-wound, reverse-polarity) which is what produces the hum-cancelling effect. I have a Bart 8su in front of me as I type this, and each half has three contacts sticking out. On one, a wire with clear insulation is soldered to one contact (I'll call it the left), and the braid is soldered to the other two (middle and right). On the other, the clear from the first goes to the "left" and the clear from the wire that goes to the controls goes to the "right". Both braids go to the middle.

I know this is probably confusing, but I hope it helps somewhat.