1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Pickup Recommendation for Rock with Flats and Pick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J-Mags, Nov 27, 2018.

1. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I just cadged a gray and black 20th Anniversary Affinity P-Bass from me ex-wife, who never plays it. The bass which has an awesome look, but a weak-sounding pickup and awful wiring. I've always wanted to soup it up with a black high-mass bridge and a decent pickup.

My style is punk, hard rock and alternative played on flatwound strings with a pick. I'm looking for any decent pickup that projects nicely and will be heard. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna go used, super-cheap or Seymour Duncan/EMG grade, because I don't want to sink too much money into that bass, but it is worth getting it giggable, if only to have a different look/sound.

Any suggestions?

basscapes and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Duncan 1/4 lb. er will prob do the trick and not too pricey around $75 . I personally would consider a Wilde P-46 for $72 and one of my fav p bass pickups at any price.

3. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    yea that duncan QP is a beast for that style. also notable is the fender RI and the dimarzio.... but really.. i think you perfectly described the QP

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Don’t bother with a high mass bridge if you’re doing it purely for sound.

As far as pickups go, they don’t make genre or string specific pickups. Any of the name replacements out there will be a major sonic improvement over what you’ve got. The EMG Geezer ($110) gets a lot of love around here. But if you’re looking for a very capable but less expensive ($72) pickup to try, I can heartily recommend a Wilde P-46.

You can hear it demoed in the video below. Playing starts around the 3:25 mark.

The David Allen 1080p/CS is also a good choice (about $100) with a pleasant touch of bite available when you want it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    J-Mags likes this.
  5. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Thanks for the demos. The high-mass bridge is more for feel. It's current feel is a little tubby and spongy. Plus a silver P-Bass with black hardware needs a Badass, or at least a fake one. The Wilde sounds almost a little tame to me. The David Allen sounds a bit better.

I love the demos of the Quarter Pounder, but I wonder if a slightly middier pickup wouldn't sit a bit better in the mix with flats.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    This one beats Badass- comes in black or chrome. They give you extra screws and two extra brass saddle inserts, and a small hex tool to adjust the Saddle height and string position. I love it on my bass. BTW: you can order a set of stainless steel saddle inserts (more harmonics and better highs) if need from Hipshot for $5 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-KickAss-High-mass-Bridge-5-bolt/dp/B01H7UZY7E/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543376842&sr=sr-1&keywords=hipshot+kickass+bass+bridge&th=1

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    J-Mags likes this.
  7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    J-Mags, hope you just clicked on the link because I had to re-do it
    BTW: A pickup and Bridge can be used on another Fender Style Bass in the future so you aren't really loosing

8. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've checked those out. They look super cool and they're quite affordable. I saw some a/b comparison, and the one that actually sounded the best to me was the mid-weight Schaller [EDIT - I meant Gotoh], but the Kickass looked cooler and is more adjustable. This isn't the actual bass, I'm just snagging the photo, but it looks like this, so it needs maximum black hardware. And maybe the pickup should be an EMG or Quarter Pounder to complete the look.

2mo8nkg-.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    These are only suggestions. Do your homework as you are doing and go with what you feel works the best. To me it is more about tone than looks. I have used some schaller stuff ( tuners, Guitar bridges etc) before and they are high quality

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Bill Lawrence rail. Super big and aggressive.

11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    +1 for the dimarzio dp122. Lots of mid cut.

basscapes and J-Mags like this.
  12. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Here is a Video on P bass Pickups

J-Mags likes this.
  13. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’d suggest either the EMG GZR or Seymour Duncan Hot P Bass. Cool looking bass

J-Mags likes this.
  14. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    I also only use a pick and also play a lot of punk and rock. I have had two P basses with flats on them. One with a GZR and one with the 1/4 lbs. And this is all personal taste, but the GZR requires little to no EQ with whatever strings you throw at it. It's just a classic P pickup (soundwise), and a very good one. The quarter pound has a more characteristic tone. With flats it can get a bit boomy, depending on which flats you use. I like the quarter pounders much more with rounds. I also believe EMG has released a new P bass pickup that is basically a GZR but without the GZR name. It should be a little more affordable.

waynobass and J-Mags like this.
  15. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    DiMarzio ‘Model P’ DP122.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  16. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    What ever is in this.
    260px-Steve_Harris_Costa_Rica.

17. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Spb4 Steve Harris
    Seymour Duncan

18. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Nordstrand Power Blade is not vintage or modern, it kills in a mix and sounds great with flats or rounds

J-Mags likes this.
  19. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want something that isn't real mid-scooped, maybe a Duncan SPB-1. I use that with flats and love it, fingers or pick. It doesn't have a huge boomy low end, has a healthy amount of highs, and a nice mid range that is neither scooped nor boosted. It responds pretty well to EQ tweaks as well.

20. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the David Allen P is criminally underappreciated. it is an amazing pickup.