Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-bass pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deletion, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hello,
    I've got a problem (i know another which pickup thread).
    I've got a squire affinity p-bass, i don't like the pickups and thought that i maybe buy some bartolini replacements. Another thing is do i have too, or is it smart too replace the electronics too? should i buy some emgs instead of the bartolinis (if there are passive emg p-style replacement pickups). it would help me alot. thx

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i think EMG has introduced a passive p-pickup. bartolinis are a good choice. if you are planning to get new electronics on you bass, then you can check out guitarelectronics.com they wire up the electronics for you, but im not sure they wire up everything. My Bartolini HR22 was wired up when i ordered from there.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What kind of music do you play?

4. Mainly Mainly Rock, Funk and Jazz but also Metal, Reggea and lots of other stuff

5. Hey Jonki since you too live in Norway i'll may check this out, I usually don't use american onlinestores because of the tax and the shipping and everything.

6. Maybe a set of duncan hot or quater-pounders? Dimarzio model-P? Wiring on the squier P-basses is really piss easy. Do one wire at a time when you get your new pickup.

7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    [​IMG]

Norway rocks ;)

when i ordered the pickup and the preamp from guitarelectronics.com, the shipping came on 30$. anyway it's cheaper to buy instruments from Usa. We live in Norway and i don't think it's necessary to tell about the prices here ;)

i got some pics of the pickup and the preamp here
    Pickup : Bart 8S
    Preamp : Bart HR22ap(with active/passive switch)
    + some shielding and wires

about the pricing here in Norway, i can give you an example ; at www.sound1.no, they sell EMG J for 2600(!) crowns (375$).
    at warmoth.com they it for under 100$. So you will save alot of money if you buy from the US of A ;)

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    With your music choice, I think the Seymour Duncan Hot's are probably a good place to start.

9. Adumb

Adumb

Apr 27, 2004
    Concord, NC
    i have a p bass and i carved out the body and put a danelectro yesteryear lipstick pickup. i have 2 switches, one for each pickup to turn it on or off. the lipstick sounds about 5000 times better than the p bass pickup and both of them together have the clean perfect tone of the lipstick and the power of the p bass. it is heaven, i would recomend that

10. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I have a 1983 JV Squier and put in a Basslines Quarterpounder, great bass, great treble, scooped mids, I like it a lot!! Gives you a nice P-bass tone!!! :hyper: