1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

p bass pickup spacing on body

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tushabi, Feb 17, 2004.

1. tushabi

tushabi

Feb 17, 2004
    Hey. I am trying to convert all Squire parts onto another guitar's body. So basically I stripped the Squire down to put the neck and pickups onto the new body. I had to trim alittle bit of wood down for the neck to fit on, so that wasn't a problem. The problem I have is that the body does not have matching cuts of wood. Instead of being next to each other with a 3/4" spacing there is a 4" spacing. Would it sound like garbage if the two pickups weren't next to each other. And if it would work, would there still be the 3/4" spacing WITH the 4" gap. And how far from the neck should it be spaced?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Do you have a picture of the new body that you can post?

3. tushabi

tushabi

Feb 17, 2004
    The cuts in the body for the pick ups are spaced the distance of a fender jazz bass. Im rather low on cash, and basically I am bored, so this is my project. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should:
    1) work the p bass pick ups into a jazz style spacing or

2) just route a new hole and space the pickups the same distance as they were in the squire.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Would you just install the E/A pickup half in one slot and the D/G pickup half in the other?

The dilemma is that two strings would be very bright all the time and two would be quite a bit darker. You might like the sound of it, but it might turn out being a lot of work for nothing...