Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p bass pickup spacing on body

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tushabi, Feb 17, 2004.

1. tushabi

tushabi

Feb 17, 2004
    Hey. I am trying to convert all Squire parts onto another guitar's body. So basically I stripped the Squire down to put the neck and pickups onto the new body. I had to trim alittle bit of wood down for the neck to fit on, so that wasn't a problem. The problem I have is that the body does not have matching cuts of wood. Instead of being next to each other with a 3/4" spacing there is a 4" spacing. Would it sound like garbage if the two pickups weren't next to each other. And if it would work, would there still be the 3/4" spacing WITH the 4" gap. And how far from the neck should it be spaced?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Do you have a picture of the new body that you can post?

3. tushabi

tushabi

Feb 17, 2004
    The cuts in the body for the pick ups are spaced the distance of a fender jazz bass. Im rather low on cash, and basically I am bored, so this is my project. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should:
    1) work the p bass pick ups into a jazz style spacing or

2) just route a new hole and space the pickups the same distance as they were in the squire.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Would you just install the E/A pickup half in one slot and the D/G pickup half in the other?

The dilemma is that two strings would be very bright all the time and two would be quite a bit darker. You might like the sound of it, but it might turn out being a lot of work for nothing...