1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass Pickup test

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Britbonic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been messing with different pickup option on my new (actually a NOS 2008) Am Std P Bass. The stock pickups were actually not bad at all but the tone profile, at least to my ears, is a little different from what I'm used to. I have a 57AVRI with stock pickups strung with TI Flats and a Squier CV 60s PBass with Fender Original 62 pickups and vintage style bridge. The Am Stds are a bit thicker in the mids with a little less clarity in the top end. I bought the Am Std for my round wound and more modern tone to eventually replace the Squier. Wasn't sure what route I wanted to go so trying a couple of different options. Wasn't looking for a higher output but maybe vintage style with some more modern character.

For a simple comparison, I recorded a 30 sec clip of Stevie Wonder's I Wish with drum track. I used a 62 Fender Original, Bill Lawrence P46 and a pickup from a local maker here.

Track was recorded with Garage Band and played straight into my RME Fireface 800 which has very nice preamps. No eq or compression added. Tried to match the volumes as close as possible.

P Bass testing by Britbonic on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Nice comparison. I could see the P46 faring better in live situations due to the extended treble responce. Overall they all sound like like nice P-pups to me, I've heard clips of aftermarket P-pups that seem to take the tone in odd directions, as a consequence clouding the sweet mids. None of that in either clip here. You might find this comparison interesting, Brit:OzBassForum • View topic - P-Bass Pickup - Soundcheck (UPDATED - FINAL)

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    To my ears the P46 and 62 Fender Original have about the same amount of treble, but the P46 has a deeper low end. The other pickup sounded like the 62 but with less high end.

Nice comparison.

4. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Interesting observations. To my ears, the P46 has more upper mid detail and is lacking some of the hollow grind that I hear from the 62. I felt like it was much smoother in terms of overall response. I was expecting to like them more out the gate but to me there was something missing. I'm not hearing the deeper low end on the P46.

The mystery pickup was made by a local guy here in SF:

Sklar Guitars: P-Bass Replacement Pickups

As soon as I put them in I felt like what was missing was back. FWIW, he deguasses the pole pieces to replicate what an older one would sound like. Very cool guy, really well made and look tre cool with grey fiber bobbins.