Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass pickup wanted?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, May 20, 2002.

1. Hi. I think I want a new P-bass pickup. I have nothing better to do with my time or money. And my stock MIM pickup sounds kind of honky and...not like a P-bass really can. The sort of tone I'm after is a NOFX/Green Day-type. Would a SD 1/4 Pounder be too harsh? Thanks in advance.

2. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i just got the fender american '62 reissue pickup...it sounds sweet. old p-basses tend to be used quite often by punk bands. maybe that would do the trick. i play a lot of punk myself...and im going to see green day live on thursday:D

3. I have a SD Hot P ready to install in my MIM P. Many owners say they like this one much better than the SD Quarter Pounder.

You might also consider the DiMarzio Split P, and the DiMarzio Will Power Middle. These will have a darker tone than the Quarter Pounder, and probably more grind. It is hard to tell from words.

I have a comparision of DM and SD pickups by Bass-Mid-Treble numbers in my spread sheet under the PICKUPS tab.

Personally, if my SD Hot P doesn't work out, I'm going to try the Will Power Middle pickup from DM>

4. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    You should give the Fender '62 reissue pickups a try. (I believe they might be called "Original P-Bass" pickups now) I replaced my MIM stock p/us with them, and they are super. Excellent for the punk stuff.