P-bass pickup with a good growl?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 9, 2005.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Can someone reccomend good P-bass pickup that will give me a bright, growly tone? My MIA P-bass is currently stock, and I'm considering one of three things: sell it, and get a Jazz bass, replace the pickup, or have it routed for a Jazz pickup in the bridge.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sell it and get a jazz.

3. I agree!
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I too thought of buying one and having it routed to accomodate a J pup... the downside being it's going to run you about 100 bucks minimum for the work, plus the pup, pot and wiring and whatnot. It gets expensive very quickly. But that doesn't mean it's not a cool endeavor. I personally hate Jazz neck pups and much prefer p/j's, just my own thing so I'd still do it if I could find a MIA P I liked enough to buy or found the right one used.
  5. Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    Come on guys, P's are ok
    Check out Bartolini replacements, Seriously think about the P-J config. Its cheaper than buying a new bass and you'll really be surpised at the differnt tones you can achieve with a bridge pu.
    I've owned both and I love my 71 Jazz, but I do find myself dialing out the bridge pu at times to get that P-bass growl-

No matter what you do MAKE IT YOURS!
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I disagree with the assessment that it is cheaper than buying a new one unless you mean buying a new one. What I suggest is either a trade with someone that has a jazz or sell the P and buy a used jazz.

I'm not saying that anything is wrong with a P. I love P basses, but it won't give him what he wants without some serious surgery. Adding a J pickup will not come cheap. Plan on spending $300 if you do that.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you can't get good growl out of a good P-bass, either your technique isn't conducive for growl, or try replacing the strings with steels.

A good pickup I like with plenty of growl is the Fender Original 62 P pickup.
  8. Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    XYLLION is correct in upgraging to the P-J being more $$$. As far as selling it (which is what I was talking about), Your probably not going to get what you paid for it just because of basic economics unless its 10 years old or more. Personally I would upgrade the stock pu with something that could be paired with a bridge pick up later if you feel like that might help get the tones u need. There are so many P pu replacements out there that with a little time and research on you part you will find the right one. P's are so much more chainsaw compared to J's (with both PU volumes up) The bridge pu seems to smooths out the overall tone and still keeps the Grrrrr-
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

If you go the pickup route try a G&L MFD P-style pickup (I know you can get them from Buffalo Brothers fairly cheaply). With rounds it's a very clear, growly/throaty sound. Slaps pretty well and very high output. It won't sound exactly like a J but it's not going to sound like a traditional P either.