Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass pickup with most punch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Jan 18, 2003.

1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    I am tossing the idea around to get an Essex BG-80 and modify it for “MAX PUNCH” what would the best reasonably priced passive pickup for this application? I am also considering stringing it BEAD, this is to be a one trick horse axe. My main axe is a MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special. It has a p/j combo I play mainly R&R and Blues what would be a good set of upgrade picks for it?

2. Do you mean "thump" when you say punch?

The hotter the pickup, the less thump. If max thump is your desire, consider low output pickups (Fender 62, Aero, Fralin) combined with an active preamp such as the John East or Raven Labs models. Both are drop-ins on a P-bass.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The punchiest P-bass pickups I've used so far are Seymour Duncan SPB-1 "Vintage" pickups. I've tried the SPB-1, SPB-2, and SPB-3, as well as some other P pups, and I like the Vintage the best so far (and I've had it for a while). I guess I'm agreeing with bgavin.

4. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Is there a place on the web to checkout/order active preamps such as the John East or Raven Labs models?

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yep. There's The Dudepit .

6. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Lets say I go with the Fender 62 or the SPB-1 what would be a good companion J bridge pickup? preferably one with hum canciling.

7. how much are those? i'm looking for some replacement Ps as well.