1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p-bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender78man, Sep 18, 2008.

1. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    I just bought a fender precision pickup. It is USA fender precision pickup from a highway 1 bass.
    Does anybody know's anything about this pickup? Is it any good, is it the same one that is used on a higher end fender standard usa p basses?
    If anyone know more information about it please let me know , thanks..

2. From Fender's site...

the highway 1 pickup:

1 Standard Vintage Alnico Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup (Mid)

the standard pickup:

1 Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid)

the american standard pickup:

1 American Standard Precision Bass Alnico 5 Split Single-Coil Pickup

so there you have it!

completely different!

(or are they???)

put it in...if it sounds good...use it...
    if it doesn't...sell it

3. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for your reply!

So vintage alnico yeah!

I wonder if it is an american made...? :meh::hyper:

4. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

The Highway 1 and the American Standard have identical pickups (same Fender part numbers).

I always thought it was a little goofy that Fender called the P pickup that covers the E and A strings the "neck pickup", and the other one the "bridge pickup". Literally, it's true that one is a bit closer to the bridge (or neck) that the other, but functionally they're about the same in terms of location. But now I've seen a new level of goofiness: The parts list for the "American Precision" refers to them as (I kid you not) "rhythm" and "lead" pickups. See items 10 and 11 here: http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0193260_62A/SD0193260_62APg3.pdf

Damn, I guess I can't play lead bass on my A string any more.

Reid