Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Feb 7, 2003.

1. I have a P-Bass that I am putting together. Just a beater. I have never been a P-Bass guy,(I love the jazz sound) but this body fell in my lap,so I thought I would finish it up. I am needing to put a pickup in it and don't know what to get. I guess I'll go with a "vintage" sound,so I'm thinking a very simple,passive setup. So,any recommendations? Like I said,I've never really checked out P-Bass pickups,or I wouldn't ask... Thanks...

2. Try the Bartolini's. I have them in my 74 and 62RI and they sound nice and smooth, a little to smooth for me. I am looking for EMGs to put in there place.

I replaced the originals with the barts and it was a great chage, they sounded almost the same to me. The reason I like them better is the higher output and the non-exposed posts. Check em out.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One I would definitely consider are the P-pups in the Bartolini Classic series. They're passive and Barts don't cost all that much for top-notch quality.

Grasshopper at Bass Central is a Bart expert and could suggest something if you can express what you're after. Plus, he can get them as quckly as, or quicker than, anyone. (They have an 800 number at their website).

Otherwise I'd look at Basslines. They've made quite a study of Fender pups over the years.

4. Do you want vintage thump, or aggressive grind?

The higher output pickups (Duncan Hot P, DiMarzio Will Power Middle) are more aggressive, but lose the thump. I have been through both these pickups on my MIM P, and the thump is gone. I like the current DiMarzio WPM and plan on leaving it alone. Even with no thump.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also, try Lindy Fralins (sp?). Get some overwound P pups, and those things SCREAM. Vintage vibe with a kind of growly edge that makes 'em at home in either modern or more old school music, depending on the model.

6. I guess I'm looking for some growl. What about the Quarter Pound Duncan? I think I might like that. I started to route it out for a Jazz bridge pickup. I might add one later. I got an Allparts neck a while ago for it. I'd like to finish it and move on to another project. :rolleyes: (My Wife gets so tired of it)

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd say the Fralin for amazing vintage tone. Other great alternatives are the Duncan Quarter Pound P and (my favorite) the DiMarzio Will Power Middle.

Welcome to the club!!!

8. why not get the fender 62RI pickup?

9. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
  10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This bus is going to "pickups"...

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you really want it to sound like a P, I recommend the Fender Original '62, or the Duncan "Vintage". I have the Duncan, and I like it a lot.

13. I'm leaning toward the idea here that to get the vibe you need to get the thing. P Bass vibe, P Bass. In my own case, P Bass pup installed in my Jazz, like our punk-rocker compadre above.
    And, just 'cause you're playing raw, nihilistic music doesn't mean your sound shouldn't kick ass (the Descendants ring a bell? How about Fear?...good bass sounds. O.K., Flipper- lousy bass sound!:meh: ).