P-bass pickups "angle"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 19, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    What is the optimum angle/positioning for Precision pickups for the famous P-bass tone?

By angle, I am referring to the slight slant that each pickup has, kind of higher up near the A and D strings.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The tone should be the same but the closer they are to the strings, the higher the output will be. They can be too high though. It depends mostly on how hard you play because you dont want the strings clipping the pole pieces when you dig in. The only reason they are angled is so that the distance between the pole pieces and the bottom of each string is the same.

I have found with the strings Im using on my p bass (TI flats) the g and d strings are a little weaker than the other strings output with equal distances from the pole pieces. I have the pickups closer to those strings to balance the output. With most other types of strings Ive used this was not the case and I kept the distances all the same. Hope this wordy reply helps! :smug:
  3. RockBass

Mar 6, 2005
    South Florida
    So which is considered the "norm", at least on Fender Precision Basses?

I have seen some where they have the slant, where others were totally flat across (at the high point, not the low).

Both seem to sound fine, at least to me.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Try this page

Some useful info there!
  5. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I believe each half of the pickup is slanted slightly upwards towards the middle two strings because the A and D strings are usually higher. This isn't as true when you're talking about basses that use a flatter radius, but when you're talking about a radius like 7.25" the A and D strings are naturally going to be a bit higher due to the curvature of the fingerboard. If the pickup was flat across, then the A and D strings would be further away from the polepieces than the E and the G.