1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass pickups question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by catalin gramada, Oct 8, 2017.

1. catalin gramada

catalin gramada

Dec 25, 2014
    Hello Folks!
    Got a pair of P-bass ceramic magnets pickups (cheap one) and have a basic question regards pickups arangement if You don.t mind:
    What is the original arangement into a P-bass ? Reversed coils/same magnet position or reversed coil/reversed magnets position? How it works in effect, please? Thanks
    5amebp.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    PawleeP likes this.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Makes no difference.

3. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I got this from the Stewmac website:

Precision Bass coils are reverse wound with reverse polarity, to make the pair hum canceling. This means one coil is wound clockwise (when viewed from the top of the pickup) with its magnets charged South up, while the other is wound counterclockwise with its magnets charged North up.

PawleeP likes this.
  4. Yep. No difference whatsoever. This is why nobody labels the two halves. They are wound the same, so they can be used interchangeably.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  5. catalin gramada

catalin gramada

Dec 25, 2014
    Thanks guys ! You probably talk about the sense of wound should be the same cause found even my cheap pickups are not identicaly the same at least from a magnetical point. They are atracted top to top and botom to botom meant diferent magnetical polarities orientation.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. The orientation of the magnets is not relevant to the tonality of the pickups. The coils are RWRP to allow humcancellation.

7. I am a lefty and use after-market Fender split-coils in my lefty instruments (it would be the same as what you want to do). Makes no difference.

8. catalin gramada

catalin gramada

Dec 25, 2014
    Allright guys. I routed the cavity into the body, mounted a cooper screen cage, but think have a problem: the space between the strings didn.t fit precisely with the distance between the polar pieces as normal should be...I think. Meant no strings is placed exactly equaly between the magnets. Do you think is a issue, please ? I.ll put a picture to show what I.m talking about. Thanks

dhagco.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    No issue at all. It'll sound fine. (Actually, that looks pretty bang on, anyway...)

ctmullins likes this.
  10. That alignment looks fine to me.

Strings almost never line up properly over pole pieces. Keep in mind that no matter how a manufacturer chooses to space the pole pieces, they cannot do anything to account for the fact that basses have widely varying nut widths, scale lengths, and string spacings at the bridge. If you want strings that line up precisely, then you will have to have someone make a custom pickup for you, based on your bass' exact measurements. That, or choose a pickup (or pickup covers) without visible pole pieces.

11. catalin gramada

catalin gramada

Dec 25, 2014
    I didn.t point to aesthetical consideration just dig it for a little bit P-fenderish tone still didn.t got it. Anyhow, this crappy Squire ceramic pickups sounds far way close than original expensive 35P EMG.s That give me courage to order a set of 62 Original Fender replacement.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. catalin gramada

catalin gramada

Dec 25, 2014
    Found on the web the original document regard P-type pickup assembly if someone interested
    w1dvo9.jpg
    lh1mv.jpg
    2vnfntd.jpg
    2ypeoav.jpg
    29cqj9y.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017