Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass Pickups - Series or Parallel?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themesb, Jun 4, 2002.

1. themesb

themesb

Jan 28, 2002
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm wondering if the traditional, run-of-the mill humbucking P-Bass pickup is wired in series or parallel. Anyone know?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I believe it is parallel, to give it the humbucking effect. Of course I could be wrong...

3. Series.

The hum cancelling effect is a result of one pickup being wound North-going and the other wound South-going.

Series/Parallel will change the tone but has no effect on the hum cancelling properties. Series mode is louder, big and fat. Parallel mode is quieter, with clearer highs.

My MIM P is getting a Seymour Duncan Hot P pickup, and I'm wiring it with a Radio Shack DPDT submini toggle switch so I can switch between series and parallel wiring. The reason is, the SD is overwound and apparently favors the lows at the expense of the highs. Being able to switch into parallel mode will clean up the highs if/when I ever need it.

Link to Series/Parallel Wiring Explanation

Link to Seymour Duncan Split-P Wiring Diagram