P bass Pickups/Strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RickJames, Mar 8, 2004.

1. RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    I purchased a Squier P bass w/a natural wood finish for
    200$. I'm using it for a Dub/Reggae/Rock recording project. It actually sounds good when i DI it in my Roland VS880 EX, throw a load of compression on it and throw the tone down. What kind of pickups should i throw in here to give it a better sound rather than the stock pickups? I'm gonna purchase some flatwound strings for it too, any suggestions of brands?
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently put a Basslines Hot P set into a MIM P Bass and have been very happy with it. I'm currently using it in the studio for an alternative rock project and it sounds great on the playbacks. Fat, ballsey, and punchy. It may work well for your application.
  3. I have found that EMG's have a nice fat sound (may be too expensive for a MIM P-bass though).
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me toss in a vote for a Dimarzio Model P. IMO they just about completely get that vintage vibe (even moreso when you realize it was a VERY common upgrade in the 70's)
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thomastik Enfeld Jazz flats are my choice.
  6. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know. To me they don't really have a pronounced midrange, but that can be due to the basses I've used them on. I found them to have lots of lows and fairly balanced in the other frequency ranges. YMMV.