1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by robjenks91, Mar 29, 2015.

1. robjenks91

robjenks91

Mar 28, 2015
    Hi all,

I'm a guitarist by trade but have recently started recording bass guitar in the studio. I have a Mexican, Fender Precision bass and the stock pickups aren't really cutting it. I started looking at upgrading the pickups but there seem to be so many options! I play rock music primarily so am looking for something that has plenty of punch when combined with a little distortion (sansamp), but also something with a nice, warm clean tone for playing softer sections/styles. Some of the pickups that have been suggested to me are: Lindy Fralin Stock Wind, Nordstrand NP4, DiMarzio DP122, Lollar Overwound, Lace Man O War, Delano PMVC4FE/M2, Fender Custom Shop 62. I've also heard good things about Bartolini and Bill Lawrence bass pickups.

Like I say, I'm new to buying bass pickups so would appreciate any advice anyone could give on the models I've mentioned. Also, if anyone knows of any other options that may be suitable for this type of sound, please share!

Thanks.

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Lollar regular wound would be my top selection out of your list. DP122 is a nice budget option for a slightly more aggressive tone.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The sound clips that I have heard of the EMG Geezer Butler sound very good. They get a lot of praise here on Talkbass.