1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by p-bass, Feb 17, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I have a 2003 MIM Standard P-Bass and am not crazy about the pickup. I want more of a vintage P-Bass tone,big fat and thumpy. Can anybody recomend a good replacement Precision Bass pickup at a reasonable price? Thanks

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Lindy Fralin P. :)

3. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Yes,I have heard those are one of the best. Are they better then the Fender Original '62 P-Bass Pickup ? If so why ? Thank You

4. big flatwounds strings, foam mute or muting technique, plucking with the thumb, rolling off tone control on bass give the old school thumping P bass tone. All P basses played with roundwounds in a modern rig will sound midrangey and agressive IMO, not thumpy.

5. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    My pickup sounds thin when I A\B it with my friends American P-Bass. Both Basses strung with DR Highbeams. His Bass sounds much fatter with more thump. My Bass may never sound as good as a MIA but I think a new pickup may help.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    have you thought about pickup height? I just put SD Quarter Pounders (definitely an aggro tone in comparison to my other p's) into my project bass, but I had to get the E string pole pieces up to get those low notes to thicken up.

7. hmm, you know, I had a MIM Jazz before and it had cheap, I mean cheap 500k pots, I switched to better quality 250K pots, and it sounded much thicker :)

8. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Really? I didn't think Fender would be cheap enough to put 500k pots in a passive bass.

9. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    I like the NP4's. Sweet vintage..hollow..midrange grind.

10. I recently bought an 80's vantage 4 string, it has a p pickup in it and that thing has sooo much bottom end, roll off the highs and its real deep and thumpy, maybe try and pick up one of their old pickups or basses, mine was $750 AUD and it was near mint.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Yeah, it's not all in the pickup: it's also the strings, your technique, where you pluck the string, and the humidity in the air....

TI Jazz Flats do it for me.

12. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Thank You guys for the help. I have raised and lowered the pickups and it still seem to lack the bottom end I am looking for. I am switching the strings to nickel round wounds hoping to get a warmer sound and if that does not help enough ,I will switch out the pickup. I want to stick with round wounds because I only have this Bass. The Bass plays great and I want to keep it.

13. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I would recommend an Aero P. Rolling the tone knob back should help quite a bit.

14. Keep us updated on the effectiveness of the nickel string change. Good luck.

15. I think you will hear a difference with the nickels, mellow, less sparkle. But dont go too light, I tryed the light gage Fender 7150's (.040-.095) and got nice smooth tone but a wimpy sound from the G string. And on a bass with SD 1/4 pound p/ups.

16. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Hmm. Thanks for posting that, vista. I should take the nickels off the bass I just put together w/ a SD .25 pounder. I thought I should give nickels a try, but maybe that had something to do with my uneven E string I posted about above... Rotosounds are my usual.

17. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Okay I'm back, I changed the strings and pickup.I put on some Daddario Xl 165 and installed a Fender '62 P-Bass pickup. This is a new Bass ! Much fatter and warmer with some thump to it.Thanks for letting me bounce some things off you guys.

18. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Glad to hear it. It is amazing what a string change can do.

19. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Nordstrand NP4 is an amazing PU for what you want.

20. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1 really digging mine as well.