1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Deacon, Apr 19, 2009.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hey guys, I already have a P bass with some American Vintage 62's in it. But I want to get another P bass I think, but put different pickups in it.

What kind can you guys suggest? I know I want it to stay passive, and no EMGs. Thanks!

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Well. Kind of a loaded question really. The first question I would ask is what type of sound are you going for, followed by what type of music are you playing, with that being followed by what is your bass made of. Everything has a factor. For example, I have a Basslines 1/4 pounder P pickup. Was not a big fan of it in my Franken-P, however, I took it out of that bass and put it with the same wiring harness and installed it in my "new" BB300 with a mahogany body. It sounds absolutely stellar in that bass. That's just an example of what I mean.

3. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Well, I don't know the whole body wood being connected with tone thing. So, I have no idea what type of wood its going to be.

I play a wide variety of stuff. I guess I want something kind of gritty sounding with a lot of crunch.

4. The 1/4 Pound pickups are probably the most common ones you hear about on here. I had some in a Squier body but they didn't impress me. It also depends on how much cash you want to lay out. There are a LOT of bass pickups out there, but some of them can be pretty expensive. I like the Dimarzio Model P's and Split P's. The Nordstrand NP4's are also ones I like.

5. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    See, I just wish I could know what those exactly sounded like, haha.

6. There are sound clips of the Seymour Duncan on Youtube. Also, Dimarzio is usually pretty good about putting up clips of their pickups.

7. You won't know until you get them in YOUR bass. You might get some kind of general idea, but exactly how they'll sound will depend, like kitsapbass said.

8. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Well I mean a general idea would be nice before going out and spending $100 on pickups.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The same pickup in the same bass can sound as different as night and day with different strings.

10. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    A general idea is all that I need. I understand that there are going to be some tonal differences.

11. I've had good experiences with three P-bass pickups that cost well UNDER $100

1) the stock pickup in the Yamaha RBX170...it's a very nice sounding pickup
    2) the Wilkinson pickup...a little more agressive than the yammy...but nice!
    3) I G&C, Co. (or D&G or something like that) Pickup that is currently in my P-bass...gets the old school David Hungate tone ...

I bought #2 & #3 and each cost me about $35 AU #1 came stock in the instrument.

12. I have a '61 Jazz.But,IMHO,I don't think those pups compare to my stock pups in my '75 Jazz Bass.Best sounding passive electronic bass I've ever heard.When it comes to a studio call,they ask for the '75 J-Bass.

13. Jazz basses are significantly more complicated the P-basses...

they interact quite differently and pickup position comes into play as well ...

the position on a '61 is quite different than on a '75...

14. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    +1

15. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Ok, well, how about this. What P pickups do you guys like and why?

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For grit and crunch, you want Lindy Fralin. That's what I use, and I love it largely for those characteristics. If you want extra low-mid punch, get it 5% overwound, but I've been very happy with the stock wind.

The DiMarzio Model P is gritty too, but to my ears lacks some vintage warmth, so I prefer the Fralin for overall use.

17. DiMarzio!!

18. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I kinda want something less vintage sounding.

19. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Here's a pair of Nordy NP-4 sound clips recorded a couple days ago. These were recorded utilizing a bass I built a couple years back (for reference: maple/maple neck with poplar body, 250k ohm pots with .047uf Orange Drop cap, BAII bridge, D'Adderio flats) no effects, no compression, no EQ on either of these two clips

R&B

Immigrant Song

This bass has seen a ton of studio work from its owner here in Seattle since it was first constructed. funny, the whole idea was to build it as cheap as possible but utilize a NP4 and BAII bridge. I think we succeeded on all objectives.

I catch that you're looking for something less vintage ... but you should hear this thing grind away when it's strung with rounds :eek: I wish I had a clip to share for the contrast a set of strings can make

all the best,

R

20. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Great, any others guys?