1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by creis2, Jul 28, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I did a search, but with no results.

I pulled everything off an American P bass body I had and sold just the body on eBay.

I received my new Warmoth body today and when I went to install the electronics, I don't remember where to put each of the two pickups.

Is there a difference between them? If so, how can I tell?

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    You mean which on the E and A strings and which on the D and G?

3. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Yes. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

4. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Can anyone chime in? My pickups and soldering iron are waiting for a response :p

5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Doesn't really matter. If you place them correctly, you get the lovely standard sound of a p-pup. If you don't, then you get a "Mark Hoppus" thing, except it's at the "sweet spot" position rather than being higher up (like on a jazz bass body). Either way, can't go wrong since both setups sound nice. I swapped the rhythm and lead sides on a Classic MIM 50s P-bass before, like the sound better. For now, install it without knowing which goes where and see for yourself how you like the sound. If you like it, better leave it a mystery, even from yourself.

6. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Well it's a normal P body, I just didn't know if there was a difference between the two pickups (left, right, top, bottom). I didn't think there was, I just wanted to make sure.

If my instrument ever reminded me of Mark Hoppus, it's going in the trash. I find him and Jerry Seinfeld to be the most irritating celebrities in existence. The only person who can pull off yelling random sentences in an attempt to be comical is Regis Philbin (I'm partly joking and partly serious).

Thanks again.

7. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    Check Polarity Top N /Bottom S ? compass some one chime in if I an wrong ? One is wound one way N clockwise Bottom S counter clockwise

8. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Yeah, please someone who is sure chime in.

9. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    They should normally have same number of winds, same type of magnets, just both the reverse of each other, so it makes no difference.