Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass Poll - Standard or Jazz Neck ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Standard P-Bass neck

40 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Jazz Bass neck

38 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. I just had to do a poll on this.
    P-Bass Player, do you prefer a Standard P neck or a Jazz neck on yours?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm an ardent P fan. For both the pup, the bass, and the neck. The irony is that apparently people prefer the Jazz neck 3:1. Which is a bloody shame, because now Fender is putting out all these P basses with Jazz necks. I keep seeing nice hotrodded basses and such, all with Jazz necks, which I find a little too tight for my liking.

P bass standard, all the way.

3. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    I started out with a P, but then played a Jazz. I liked it a lot more. So I bought it. The difference to me is like making out with a slighly overweight yet attractive girl than a skinny yet attractive girl. You take the skinny one.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like jazz necks :p .

Brendan, you can always put a j or soapbar route in a p-bass.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    P. I'd even like to have a P neck in Jazz body. Jaco had that configuration in his "instructional" video. How often did he use P necks?

6. Odd. I would think that most bassists would go for the big bottom.

7. not always, my friend."mo' cushion fo' tha pushin'" is what i always say.:D

8. P for now. I'll let ya know when I get my jazz.

9. Hep! I'd go with a older Fat (Lady) chick...and a Jazz neck! Sweet! combo..

10. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Ketch, maybe that’s the way you see it, but to me, it’s more like Tyra Banks vs. Ally McBeal – I’ll take the P-neck, thank you.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word, my brother, word.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think 44me has hit the correct woman/P-J bass comparison.

13. J neck. And only J neck.

P's are to slow for me also. And I don't like the P sound either.

That being said :D

I'd like to pick one up (cheapie) and see if it'd work in a band situation. Never hurts to try, and I've never played one in that situation. It may just be a great sound live. I like a 'ray sound (4 string) and sterling (4 and Ray5), so maybe one p/u is the way to go.

14. lol, RIGHT ON!!!

15. idk that's what I've found out! But the P p/up is a great design because with it being split, it can follow the arch of the strings better than say a J p/up, and yes even better than one with raised pole pieces...

16. fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round!

freddy mercury's spirit has left the board everybody!

17. I`ll take a P neck on my P bass and a J neck on my Jazz. :p

And for the record:I would rather have a woman with a bit extra than a bag o bones.:D
    "To feel da heat,ya gotta have da meat!"