1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p bass pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spaz21387, May 5, 2010.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    what pots usually come stock in a late 80s squire 2 p bass? I opened up the bass looking for a ground issue. Since it buzzes pretty bad. I found 2 different pots the volume was an alpha mini one. the tone was also a mini one but said 500k on it. So im guessing that the alpha was stock and someone later put in the 500k which could be the cause of the buzzing noise.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A high-value pot in there will not cause buzzing. The buzzing is probably a bad ground. If the bass is active, you probably want 25 or 50 K pots; if the bass is passive, you probably want 250 or 500 K pots.

3. Is that a rule of thumb that an active has 10-times more power for output than a passive?

I may be seeing that wrong - but I'm sure you'll correct any miscalculations I have. I bet it's not a linear extrapolation - huh?

4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure p basses come stock with 250k pots. this however, sounds like a ground issue as bongomania stated.