p-bass prices?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yawnsie, Dec 2, 2000.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Recently, I acquired a beautiful American-made P-Bass for quite a large sum of money. (I won't tell you exactly how much so you don't laugh at me) However, my joy at obtaining this was someone tarnished by being told that P-Basses cost around $150 in the States. Is this true? (Tell me, I can handle it...)
  2. No, it is not true. The bass your information could be referring to is a Mexican made Precision that goes for as little as $199 here in the US. I think I may have even seen it slightly lower at rock bottom sales from corporate music stores. At best, these basses are spotty in quality when compared to the American made versions. There ARE exceptions, but you have to look diligently for them. Another Precision bass that sells for even less is the Squier series. That one does retail for as little as $150. Don't sweat it though. You've got the most consistent quality you could buy. Currently American P's are starting at about $500 and up depending on model, finish, and options.

I assume you are happy with your purchase?
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Thankyou Hambone! You've just made me a lot happier!!!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to get used it! Basses in the US are a fraction of what you would pay in the UK. Deluxe P-Bass V in the UK is £1249.95 list price, but nobody in the US would pay this - which is about the equivalent of $1900 - they would probably get one for less than half that!

We are struggling in the UK, because the prices are aimed at a European market and with the £ being so strong against the Euro, everything is much more expensive over here. If we get a single European currency, we will almost certainly pay less for basses and cars and any luxury items.

The strong £ this year has mean that a record number of people have travelled abroad from the UK (I went to Greece twice in the Summer!)and the lowest number have visited, because everything is now so expensive comparatively.

The only thing that may work in our favour is that it will get so cheap to visit the US, that we will all be able to go for "bass-buying" holidays and will be lucky enough to "smuggle" our new prizes back though customs without paying the inevitably huge customs duty etc. !! ;)

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 12-04-2000 at 07:04 AM]
  5. Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Just a little out of topic:

Bruce, you would be suprised HOW cheap travel from UK to US can be. I've been traveling kinda HEAVY last year ( flown over 60'000 miles (mostly domestis travel), thus bought lots of tickets :) ) and have gone through a lot of deals. A lot of them were deals from UK to US (especially east coast) and US to UK. Some of them were even $150 per roundtrip (London-NYC, London-Washington, etc). You just have to dig a little and stay in touch with several different travel related websites and It doesn't have to be that expensive to come here.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure it would be cheap enough to justify the visit - I'd like to go to some of the classic Jazz clubs in New York as well! But I'm not sure that on my return, I'd be able to walk through the aisle that says "Nothing to Declare" with my new US bass under my arm!