1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass PU that sounds like a J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddtodd, Mar 31, 2005.

1. who makes a pbass pu, that i can put in my g&l sb-2 (1 p, 1 j) that sounds just like a j bass?
    so i will have 2 j bass sounding pickups.

thanks

-todd

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I hate to tell you this, but IMO the answer is: none. A P-bass pickup can't sound exactly like a J for the following reasons: 1) the size of the split-coil bobbins, and 2) their positions, most notably the treble coil (you don't get the same 'pop' on the DG strings as you do with a J pickup).

If I were you I would settle for sounding "kinda like" rather than "exactly like"... nothing wrong with that. :)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The DiMarzio Split P pickup has more a mid-scooped sound than a regular P-pickup, which are pretty mid-heavy. It sounds closer to a J pickup than most other P pickups.

While I feel like kind of a shill doing so, I would like to point out that I am currently selling one right now...

4. The obvious answer is that if you want a bass that sounds like a Jazz Bass, get a Jazz Bass. Fuzz Bass is right.

5. thanks i didnt know jazz basses existed!

that not what i was asking.
    i was asking if there are any p sized pickups that sounds similar to a j.

thank you

-todd

6. Maybe do a Series/Parallel switch for a P-Bass pickup. This would let you run it parallel and blend the bridge pickup together for some Jazz type tones.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Ehehe:D