1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-bass pup height opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afireinside, Mar 13, 2008.

1. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    When in a store it seems that the pups in new basses are a inverted V. E and A ends are lower and the A and D are higher. But on the fender site it just gives a bass and treble merasurement. I know my ear should tell me but what do you all do?!?

HW 1 Upgrade P-bass is what I have

2. The coil serving the lower strings is lower, yeah. I set it that way to equalize volume between the top and bottom. And inverted V because, well, the string heights [should] follow the fretboard curve, so you want about equal height between strings and poles. That's how I set mine, anyway.

3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Following the Fender specs you should still end up with an inverted V if your bridge saddles are correctly positioned in relation to the fretboard's radius.

When I set mine up I start with Fender's guidelines and then adjust by ear if necessary. Every P I've owned has had a different optimal setting for the pups. My current one sounds great right at spec.