P bass PUP help needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Great Rober, Dec 5, 2003.

1. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    I need some heelp on exactly how the 2 PUPs are wired to each other and to the brass plate.
    No problem where the white and black wires from the PUP/brass plate go to,but....
    I know that one has a south pole, the other a north.
    Anyone got a photo of what they look like connected to the brass plate.

Why do I ned this ? Well I had one re-wound ( the other was fine ) I get quite a bit of hum( I think I did before as well)

Both PUPs are wound in the same direction, so does the end of one PUP connect to the start of the other PUP or the end ?
    Yes I know these must be the simplest PUP's in the world, but I really want to get my 1973 Precision back to standard.Then I can finally blame myself for the crappy sound
  2. i pm'd you for more info..re the brass plate..
    a P pup just needs a hot to the pot :)
    and an earth to the jack...
    no special wiring and i think your brass plate is to do with the pup resting in its groove instead of a piece of rubber...does it have any springs on it?
    dont separate the wire which connects the two parts of the pup...it has already been wired thus to suit the polarity and n/s winding configuration to buck the hum...
    although it can be wired parallel >>
  3. The Great Rober

The Great Rober

Dec 4, 2003
    The brass plate is the shape of the PUP cut out in the alder body.It goes between the PUPs and the body.I guess it acts as a screen.
    I believe that one end of one PUP connect to this.
    Should the 2 PUPs be wound in the same direction ?
    Given that any PUP has a start and finish of a winding, does the end of say the first PUP connect to the end or the start of the second PUP? This is about your comment about the wire that connects the "two pasrt of teh PUP"
    Also the PUPs can fit in the cut-out in one of 2 postions.With the soldered connections towards the pot or 180 degress around with these connections away from the pots

Does it matter which way they sit ?
  4. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    If the P is a traitionally made pickup you should connect the start to the start. And it won't matter which way they sit in the cavity as long as up is up, but traditionally the connections are all in the center, if that makes any sense.
    The brass plate should be connected to the system ground. Either the black off of the pickup or a wire to the casing of the pots or directly to the ground lug on the jack.
    Good Luck!