Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p-bass pup in a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tony moore, Sep 3, 2004.

1. i'm thinking of replacing the neck pickup in a jazz bass with a slit p-bass type pickup. obviously, i can't get the p-bass pup in the same spot it would have resided in a p-bass and still have it within the stock jazz pickguard. by moving it closer to the neck just enough to be within the stock jazz pickguard, how much will it affect the tone as compared to where it would have been on a p-bass?

thanks!

tony

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played jazzes in the 70's and my standard mod was putting a P pickup in between the existing two (there's just enough room to do it) - did it to three basses. Worked OK. ;)

3. so you must have taken the guard off, eh? wow, that would be tight!

i saw you play quite a bit in the 80's, but not the 70's :bassist: good to see you here! are you still gigging? i always enjoyed your playing man :)

tony

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks! Yeah, two of them were just natural jazzes without guards when I bought them (both were susequently stolen) & one was a burst and I just cut into the pickguard..not really a thing of beauty I'm afraid, but it worked. Yeah I'm gigging with a few bands here locally & every now & then with this one which is a real treat -
    www.thebearsmusic.com

5. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Hey, I see you play with Adrian Belew - we made a custom neck for his Variax to match his old strat neck a while back. I cut the nut. Small world, eh?

6. so do you have a calendar of your gigs anywhere? didn't see one for you on the bear's site...

i live really close to (the now) ricky nye and we hang every now and then... i play for a couple folks in town as well. hey, any chance you'd wanna lay down some lines on dave wolfenbergers new disc? it'd be an honor...

tony

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Sure, no problem. Just give me a call - I'm in the phonebook. I live in Golf Manor. I sold Ricky that house... :)

I'm playing with Tickled Pink (Scott Covrett & Bam Powell) at the Madison Theater on the 18th, & at Stanleys with Bucket (Lee Rolfes & Bam Powell) on the 24th. Sorry for derailing your thread... :(

I think a P pickup is always a good idea, but that's just me. Where there's a will, there's a way. :cool:

8. YOU PLAYED WITH ADRIAN BELEW!!?!?!? :dies:

9. playS! :bassist:

and if you ever get the chance to hear bob you'll ask adrian, "you played with BOB NYSWONGER!!?!?!?"

:)

tony

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Yes it is. ;) What was the color & body style on that? I think I've played the majority of what's on the wall... :D

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Don't die, man - good mods are hard to come by. :D

Yeah, we're about 90% done with the next record. I'm very excited about it - they've encouraged me to go a little nuts on this one. :bassist:

12. ive been useing a jazz bass a mim with a p between the two j's for awhiel now. i put in 1/4 punder pickups. i still have the stock pickup in the neck(no place around carries jazz neck pickups.) i have a problem tho. if i have all the picups full on its real thin sounding. if i turn the bridge jazz and the p down alittl its deep and wat not . if i have the neck down alittle and the p and bridge j up all the way. its deep and little mopre punchy. i have it wire j/v j/v then a stacked knob for volme for the p and tone for all. i think iam having a serise parrle problem. any help would be good. sorry about hi jacking the thread. befor i put the new pickups in when i had all 3 full on at the same time i didnt have this problem.

13. it's all related as far as i'm concerned! :)

did you install the p-pup yourself? post a pic? post a pic of your wiring?

tony

14. ill post pics if i new how. my wire :bawl: wat a rats nest i installed the p my self and the kahler bass trem lol. i dont know how to word this. i installed the p the wrong way. liek not the normale way the p is. om say u looking at the bass stright on normaly the top of the p would be to the left side and the botoom is to the right side. i have it the othere way. my aol name is monky119 i can send soem one pics that way and they can post them.

15. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Warwickben - I think you've either got a phasing problem or some incongruity in the pots. When I did this mod, I wired V/V/V/T and had no problems. I just used the same value volume pot as the existing ones, moved the bridge V & tone pot down (the tone went in the output jack hole) and installed a an angled strat style output jack. ;)

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You know, if I were doing this, I'd be really...REALLY tempted to do a V/T/V/T/V/T, just so I could have the only passive bass in the world with 6 knobs ;).

17. i used a stacked knob. iam having some sort of problem. and i dont realy wanna pay a arm and a leg to get it fixed. i brought it to a shop and they said it would cost 100$ for them to rewire it.,....wat a joke. i kinda wanna wire it up with 3 stacked knobs so u got tone and volume for all the pickups. but id rather stick with one tone or have it wired with 3 stacked knobs and a use3 band with it some how. a boy can dream.

18. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    The neck we copied from was the strat with the spraypaint on the headstock... the neck we built had the Variax headstock, and I assume it was going on a line 6 Variax 500, though we never saw the whole guitar put together.