Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass pup question/recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MascisMan, Dec 29, 2003.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok guys please recommend a P-Bass pup for me. Here is the background info and as always first hand experiences are usually the best:

First off the band environment is basically two guitarists, drums, piano, bass. So I think needless to say the pup will need to cut (especially since the two guitarist together are about 150 tube watts and both have 4x12's). The music can get pretty distorted at times but there are also some clean areas as well.

The guitar will be an Alder body and either birdseye or spalted maple top with maple neck. Will be wired in the traditional P sense however I can opt for a simple pre-amp like an Aguilar OBP-1 or something.

I have two amps. One is an Ampeg B2R and the other a Genz Benz GBE600 (GB is on the way). The cabs are an Ampeg SVT-410HLF and will possibly be adding either a 2x12 or 1x15 to this.

So what do you guys think? Im thinking I need some good low mids with some treble rolled off. My original idea was a DiMarzio Model P with an OBP-1 wired in but now Im not so sure. Im traditionally a J-Bass guy just now jumping on the P-Bass wagon.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    **crickets** **tumbleweeds blowing by**

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It sounds like a vintage-voiced pickup might be what you're looking for. Fralins have probably been the most available choice in the past, and might be an option...and there are guys who like Duncan Antiquities as well. I like what Carey Nordstrand is doing with his pickup line and would recommend them as well. The feedback that I've had so far has been very positive, I'm now seeing people come back for additional sets to install on their second and third basses, and SMASH gave them a positive review in his pickup review thread. In general, it looks like a full, pickup with fat lows, natural highs, and maybe a bit of a mid bump would not only be a good match for your bass and amp, but might also help you cut through. Look into the brands mentioned above and you should be OK.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks JPJ. Yeah I read Smash's reviews but they were J-Bass oriented and this will be a P-Bass. No anybody that has tried Nordstrand P-bass pups?

Yeah so far I have narrowed it down to:

Dimarzio Model P
    Duncan Quarter Pounder for P
    Duncan Hot for P
    Duncan Antiquity P
    Fralin P

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've only tried the Dimarzio Model P and SD 1/4 Pounder.

The 1/4 pounder has a hot output, lot of mids but at the expense of the rest of the frequency range. I really liked the Dimarzio Model P, good midrange but good definition in rest of range.

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    David you are just helping me out all over the place!

I am going to owe both my J-Bass and P-Bass tone to you!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I would personally pass over the Quarter Pounder, it doesn't cut. It kind of...rolls. Like thunder. In a band that big, you need not only the ability to cut, but the articulation for people not only to hear the bass, but to hear the NOTES, and the QP has very little clarity by all accounts.

The Hot for P, which is what I have now, has a lot of articulation but I still put my j pickup at about 10-20% to add some clarity. I am not, however, in a band at the moment so I don't know how well it cuts.

Of the only pups on there I've used the Hot for P, so my info on the QP is second-hand. Check out some Blink 182 stuff from the tour they did to promote "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket", that particular album and any album after that, his Fender Signature uses the QP and the only knob on his bass is a volume, so you get the pure QP sound. Unfortunately his signature bass didn't, you know, EXIST before that album so the stuff on Enema of the State is mostly a P-bass with a bit of a MusicMan.

Note that I am not in fact a Blink 182 fan, it's just you run across a lot of information on the Fender Bassstreet.com site and I've been cruising it for the last hour or so.

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Govithoy-I will definitely look into that..

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I only have experience with the Dimarzio Model P, and the QP. Another pickup that I liked not on your list is the Fender Original P pickup.

Of these I like the Quarter Pounder. I use mine in conjunction with flatwounds. Worked well for Steve Harris in Iron Maiden (2 Loud Guitars). Aside from that, the QP has an aggressive sound as David has said. But there's plenty of bottom and highs to it. I don't find that it doesn't cut through. It cuts through fine for me. I'm in a blues band with a loud guitarist and harp player, and I can choose to cut through them or get under them. It could be my amp settings, but I love the tone of this pickup.

But if you are looking for a little less agression with plenty of output, then the DiMarzio Model P should work well. It has enough bottom, and enough mids. These pickups are not aggressive sounding pickups, but they have a full sound. I didn't consider these to be the most articulate sounding pickups since they lacked some highs, but they have that nice warm vibe.

The Fender Original P is a nice pickup too. Total vintage vibe. It's sort of a growly pickup, but not nearly as growly as the QP. It has a classic tone that works with flatwounds like a dream. Not bad with roundwounds either. I love the tone from these. If you can get to a store that sells Fender reissues, you can get an idea of how they sound.

Hope this helps

10. Fender P pickups are really rather good...

11. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    keep them coming guys. i am quite interested in this as im about to get started with a project p bass and first thing on the list is pickups. i want something passive and ive been looking at the dimarzio model p and the fender original 62 p. i want this baby to growl, but cut through too. im in a worship band and im about to start up a new hardcore band. the guitars will have volume. i dont mean to hijack your thread mascis, just felt that i didnt need a new thread if there was already one on the topic.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just had SD Basslines Hot P pickups installed in my MIM P Bass yesterday. This bass is used for Blues & Classic Rock jam sessions and a little bit of studio work - recently an alternative rock / acoustic rock project.

I have not tried it in a live band or studio situation yet, but I did try it out at the music store where I bought them. After the tech slapped them in, I tried the bass through an EBS 650 (tube/SS hybrid) head and an Epifani 2X10. The tone is just what I was looking for in a P! A warm vintage vibe, with a slightly higher output and a fat bottom which was still punchy and not muddy. The interesting thing about this upgrade is that after all is said and done, I must say that the stock MIM pick ups are not as bad as some say. My stock pick ups have a pretty decent tone and output compared to the Hot P. Yes, the overall tone of the Hot P pickups is better overall, but the MIM stock pickups do have a decent output, bottom, mids, highs, and a good degree of warmth. I'm still glad that I made the upgrade though.

I might bring it to the gig this weekend and use it for one set. Will post comments later.

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    sorry, but are the duncan pickups you guys just mentioned active or passive?

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're passive, wound more than usual for higher output

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for the Fender Original P pickup. I played in a loud two guitar band and had no trouble cutting through. Worked well in two P's I was using.....one was tuned EADG, the other BEAD.

16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    And another vote here. I got one for Christmas and put it in my MIJ P bass and it is wonderful, warm and surprisingly aggressive. It certainly has the warm vintage tone, and I am even having to dial back both the tone and the volume because of its bite at full output. :bassist:

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    When you guys say "original Fender P" are you talking about just the regular American/American Deluxe P pickup or the 62 ReIssue P pup?

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The 62 Reissue

19. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i wont be buying a pickup until late february or early march, but i think im gonna go for the fender 62 reissue. thanks guys.

20. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'd really like to try that Fender 62 reissue in my P...

For Duncans, check out their tone chart on the Basslines website. IMO it's very accurate.

The Duncan Quarter Pounder probably has the most bottom of any passive P pickup. I use it for my passive metal basses, not my blues bass. I've heard it used by another bassist in a blues band, and it sounds good. But not vintage sounding at all, even thru a 2x15. I disagree that it's heavy on the mids, if anything it's mid-scooped with a clear top and deep bottom. The mids some folks are hearing and attributing to the QP is just the standard Duncan mid sound.

I've also used the Duncan Vintage P and the DiMarzio Model P in my Fender. The Duncan Vintage P sounds great. Not 100% vintage because it has the Duncan-ized mids, but close. It's got a bitey top in my ash/maple P, I'm sure alder/rosewood would mellow out the bite and make it sound even more vintage.

The DiMarzio Model P is the growliest, especially in a swamp ash P. It's living proof you don't need a J pickup for growl.

have fun...